walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Arniston House grounds - open for walking through?

Arniston House grounds - open for walking through?

Postby denfinella » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:37 pm

Bit of a long shot, but has anyone walked through the grounds of Arniston House recently? It's on a local route I'd like to do while we're still restricted travel-wise (this one: https://www.midlothian.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/179/gorebridge_temple_walking_path.pdf.

The house website says something about the grounds being closed except for on official open days, but that doesn't really fit with it being on an official council walking leaflet. Perhaps it just means you can't drive there?
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Arniston House grounds - open for walking through?

Postby Skyelines » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:28 pm

From what I have found on the Midlothian website the walk is a "core path" under the terms of the Land Reform act which means as far as I can ascertain is always open to the public.

This is an interesting read which was produced for landowners. https://brodies.com/insights/land-agriculture-and-rural-business/core-paths/

So it would appear that core paths are open for use however going off the path to other parts of the land would not be permissible except where permitted by the landowner.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby denfinella » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:44 pm

Thanks Skyelines. However, I've had a look at the core paths map and I think it's only the path along the burn which is a core path, and not the part through the house grounds.
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby davekeiller » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:54 pm

I suspect that if it's on a route that's advertised on the council website then there aren't any access restrictions.

Given that access to the grounds seems to be free of charge, it would seem unlikely that they would bother to close footpaths through the grounds.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby denfinella » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:15 pm

davekeiller wrote:I suspect that if it's on a route that's advertised on the council website then there aren't any access restrictions.

Given that access to the grounds seems to be free of charge, it would seem unlikely that they would bother to close footpaths through the grounds.

I think you are probably right. Will probably try it in the next few weeks and will report back! I've a handful of these sorts of local routes left to do that I'm trying to space out though this period of travel restrictions, so it'll get done at some point before the end of April!
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby Oldwoodpusher » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:24 am

The website says: The grounds, policies and surrounding woodlands offer a peaceful and relaxing space to spend time in throughout the seasons. There are 6000 acres, so access legislation gives you the right of access (not, as the website says, as a "guest') provided you follow reasonable requests to allow estate work, avoid the curtilage of dwellings (ie the garden) and don't cross standing crops (grass isn't a crop for this purpose).
There is exemption from Inheritance tax and capital gains tax, for property open to the public in a rather restricted way, as is the case at Arniston. I suspect that this is the reason for the guided tours of the house--which are of considerable interest and recommended.
However, the grounds and estate must be accessible, and there seems no reason for Covid restrictions to affect that, if you live locally and can legally travel there for exercise. Many estates still haven't come to terms with this and rather resentfully try to make you feel unwelcome. Don't be put off.
Oldwoodpusher
Mountaineer

Munros:186   
Sub 2000:9   

Postby denfinella » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:17 pm

Thanks Oldwoodpusher. I think it'll be fine (the estate certainly haven't said anything I would describe as unwelcoming), but will report back.

The official walk route actually goes right part the house - in fact it does a loop around the side in order to view the house from more angles!

Yes, we are fairly local. (In addition, while Gorebridge and Arniston House are in Midlothian, one or both are within 5 miles of the borders of Edinburgh, East Lothian and the Scottish Borders council areas respectively!)
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby denfinella » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:14 pm

Update - we walked this route (or a variation upon it) today.

All is well - no access issues in terms of walking into / through the grounds. I suspect the "closed outwith open days" message on the house website refers to people driving into the grounds to start their walk.
denfinella
Wanderer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion