walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

When can we visit Scotland again?

When can we visit Scotland again?

Postby Tringa » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:38 am

By 'we', I mean those of us who live south of the border outside the last country God made.

I think the latest guidance from the Scottish Government is from 16th March - https://www.gov.scot/news/timetable-for-further-lockdown-easing/

The fourth paragraph of this includes - "The Scottish Government then hopes to lift all restrictions on journeys in mainland Scotland on 26 April."

I'm reading the "in mainland Scotland" to mean you can start and finish your journey anywhere in mainland Scotland but it does not include journeys into mainland Scotland from elsewhere in the UK, or anywhere else.

Does anyone know what the latest proposal of the SG is on travelling to Scotland from the rest of the UK? If so, can you post a link please. I'd also be interested in people's interpretations on what the latest travel proposals include.

Thanks

Dave
Tringa

Re: When can we visit Scotland again?

Postby al78 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:49 am

I'm taking a chance and have arranged to travel there on the second May bank holiday weekend to do some backpacking across Knoydart. I intend to finish at Shiel Bridge but I am having problems finding accommodation for one night in early June.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby malky_c » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:28 am

I think probably the same date (26th April) as we are allowed to travel freely within Scotland. However the Scottish Government have only really announced headline dates, and they haven't filled us in on the detail yet - I assume because if they need to backtrack due to changes in circumstances, it will be easier:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56429254
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Tringa » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:49 pm

malky_c wrote:I think probably the same date (26th April) as we are allowed to travel freely within Scotland. However the Scottish Government have only really announced headline dates, and they haven't filled us in on the detail yet - I assume because if they need to backtrack due to changes in circumstances, it will be easier:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56429254

Thanks

Dave
Tringa

Postby simon-b » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:15 pm

If you're keen for a holiday in Scotland this year, I'd imagine it would be better to book something soon based on the guideline dates others have suggested, but with free cancellation available. The vaccine delay and situation in Europe means there can't be certainty about the road map, so no guarantee the holiday could go ahead. On the other hand, European holidays this year for Brits are looking less likely, so demand for Scottish accommodation could well be very heavy.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:37 pm

The 26th was the date for travel within Scotland, with the possibility of the border opening the same day. There was a hint that it might not be until shortly after though. :?
Sunset tripper

Postby AyrshireAlps » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:11 pm

so demand for Scottish accommodation could well be very heavy.

It is already, and has been for some time. I managed to get somewhere in Boat of Garten for a week in July, there wasn't many options about at all, and that was a couple of months ago.

Foreign travel ain't happening this summer, not a chance, but they won't call it out as such as yet, as the travel industry/aviation etc will kick off.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:51 am

al78 wrote: I intend to finish at Shiel Bridge but I am having problems finding accommodation for one night in early June.

I foresee a tent... looks like all accommodation is booked up well in advance, and you may want to avoid other people as the Plague and its variants are still prevalent. :shock:
It's going to get a bit crowded in our little island, and crowded by people who do not know how to behave in the hills; they are used to causing mayhem in Magaluf or torment in Torremalinos. However, once we get off the beaten track we can find ourselves in the Land of the Blessed once again.

vikings_Underpainting_1.jpg
Alba
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Tringa » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:15 am

Caberfeidh wrote:
al78 wrote: I intend to finish at Shiel Bridge but I am having problems finding accommodation for one night in early June.

It's going to get a bit crowded in our little island, and crowded by people who do not know how to behave in the hills; they are used to causing mayhem in Magaluf or torment in Torremalinos.

Unfortunately I think you are correct. Just hope it settles down quickly.

Dave
Tringa

Postby al78 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:54 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:

I foresee a tent... looks like all accommodation is booked up well in advance, and you may want to avoid other people as the Plague and its variants are still prevalent. :shock:
It's going to get a bit crowded in our little island, and crowded by people who do not know how to behave in the hills; they are used to causing mayhem in Magaluf or torment in Torremalinos. However, once we get off the beaten track we can find ourselves in the Land of the Blessed once again.

vikings_Underpainting_1.jpg

I suspect you are right. I am thinking of trying the campsite, the two B&Bs have no vacancies. Once I leave Kinloch Hourn I am completely flexible as to where I go, as long as I get back home within three days, so another possibility is to try Cluaine Inn, or trek east and back south to Glenfinnan taking the low route instead of the summits, or even backtrack to Inverie. I just need to be able to reach Fort William or a public transport link to Fort William.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby KeithS » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:11 pm

I have been keeping a very keen eye on this as I have not been able to get to my house since October last year.

As I see it, as others have stated, travel around all of Scotland will be allowed from 26th April but this will NOT include being able to travel from England or elsewhere in the UK.

This will however be looked at closer to the time as Nicola states she is concerned about the tourism industry so it may be opened up shortly afterwards, if not then.

Not sure if I will be getting to St Kilda in May having been postponed since last May.

Keeping fingers crossed

Keith
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby Walkinmyfootsteps » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:38 am

26th of April. Travel restrictions are lifted within mainland Scotland on that day. If you’re travelling from England those restrictions will have been lifted a fortnight earlier.
Walkinmyfootsteps
Munro compleatist

Postby gaffr » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:29 pm

Am I right to be getting more confused now. So those travelling from South of the border will be able to access areas of Scotland earlier in April than those living in the country will not be able to do.? Maybe I have just miss read all of this. :roll:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby gaffr » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:48 pm

Too late to amend/add to the Post earlier....as I found out.
I am a bit slow perhaps to fully understand all this....does this apply to say Scottish folks perhaps working in the South and returning home?...and to not just anyone coming to Scotland for a visit and what about English folks with a holiday home in Scotland?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Scraggygoat » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:52 pm

Walkinmyfootsteps is overly keen.

For better or worse, Restriction are still in place precluding those from other home nations entering Scotland, at present. The situation with their own restriction easings are immaterial.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-travel-and-transport/#travelbetween
Note updated today.

Travel between Scotland and the rest of the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man (the “Common Travel Area”)
Under current Scottish law, given the state of the epidemic, unless you have a reasonable excuse (see exceptions) you must not travel between Scotland and:

England
Northern Ireland
Wales
Republic of Ireland
Jersey
Guernsey
The Isle of Man

I’ve found no mention of intra UK National travel in the Scot Governments time table for easing restrictions.
Scraggygoat

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion