walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Bothies

Bothies

Postby Coop » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:00 pm

Does anyone know if the Bothies will be re - opening this year. Just handy to know with a couple of big trips planned for June, and planning factor.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: Bothies

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:03 pm

I think it's very unlikely, but the ones I have passed this last year have all been open for emergency use. The bothy at Callater was plastered with covid notices but others I have seen just looked as normal.

I would say plan for a tent. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby davekeiller » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:59 pm

Officially, all MBA maintained bothies are closed until further notice, and will reopen when it is safe to do so.

I don't know how many are physically locked, but would expect that when restrictions are lifted toward the end of April that the MBA will be able to send people to inspect and might be able to begin reopening bothies. I would expect that at least some bothies will be open by the end of summer.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Coop » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:41 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:I would say plan for a tent. :D

At least one out of the 3 trips was definitely with s tent- that may be getting re thought
Coop
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Coop » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:42 pm

davekeiller wrote:. I would expect that at least some bothies will be open by the end of summer.

Hope so
Coop
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:48 am

Once all of the self catering and then hotels etc are allowed to open, surely Bothies will follow. The only only difference after that is the lack of ability to contact trace really.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Essan » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:52 am

Impossible to say at the moment - some limited workparty activity should be possible from May, but bothies won't be open to the public until such time as unlimited multiple households are permitted to share accomodation and facilities without any restrictions. End of June looks like the very earliest, but a lot may change before then.
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:26 am

AyrshireAlps wrote:Once all of the self catering and then hotels etc are allowed to open, surely Bothies will follow. The only only difference after that is the lack of ability to contact trace really.

I think social distancing might be a problem in bothies that was one of the reasons they closed.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:17 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:
AyrshireAlps wrote:Once all of the self catering and then hotels etc are allowed to open, surely Bothies will follow. The only only difference after that is the lack of ability to contact trace really.

I think social distancing might be a problem in bothies that was one of the reasons they closed.

Possibly, but in reality it's down to individuals, same as it is in any public indoor space, to keep their distance - supermarkets, cafes, bars etc (when they open up). The need for someone to take shelter in exceptional weather is at least as important in my opinion as social distancing is.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion