walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Loch Quoich munros questions

Loch Quoich munros questions

Postby al78 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:57 pm

Is it possible to directly climb Sgurr a Mhaoraich from Kinloch Hourn without having to resort to technical scrambling?

Also, is it possible to descend from Spidean Mialach to the river Loyne without anything worse than grade 1 scrambling?
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Re: Loch Quoich munros questions

Postby jmarkb » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:00 pm

I'm pretty sure the answer to both questions is yes. For Sgurr a' Mhaoraich, I think you can just head up the blunt ridge to Sgurr a' Mhaoraich Beag, using the stalkers path marked on the 1:25k map initially. I don't think any of the northern ridges of Spidean Mialach have unavoidable difficulties, but the best bet might be the NW ridge starting at NH059047 and pick up the stalkers path in Coire Leacach Mor.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby al78 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:14 pm

Thanks, that's very helpful.
al78
Walker

Postby Driftwood » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:03 pm

I can offer this view - the closer ridge across the photo is the (upper part of) jmarkb's suggested route down from Spidean Mialach. It looked fair going (viewing from the main ridge), and a stalkers' path lower down would make it a winner for me.
DSCF1692.jpg
Spideam Mialach across Fiar Bhealaich

I was also on Sgurr a' Mhaoraich (and out to its west Top) last September, but don't have any views down to Kinloch Hourn. Harvey's Knoydart, Kintail & Glen Affric shows a path up to about 480 metres.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby al78 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:53 pm

Thanks, that gives a good view of the ridge. The OS map is deceptive, it shows that ridge (and all the ridges on the north side of those munros) to be full of crags/outcrops, but that photo suggests it is easy to descend with care.
al78
Walker

Postby jmarkb » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:43 pm

al78 wrote:The OS map is deceptive, it shows that ridge (and all the ridges on the north side of those munros) to be full of crags/outcrops

That's the nature of terrain in that part of the country - there are lots of small outcrops but they tend to be discontinuous and it's almost always possible to weave a way between them (except when the whole slope gets too steep). There's no real way to tell that from the map.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:32 pm

jmarkb wrote: I don't think any of the northern ridges of Spidean Mialach have unavoidable difficulties, but the best bet might be the NW ridge starting at NH059047 and pick up the stalkers path in Coire Leacach Mor.

I used the stalkers path and it you could just make it out from the glen, so from above will be harder, nothing hard at all that would trouble you.

The ridge on right

P1040256.JPG
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Scraggygoat » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:46 pm

The stalkers path on marked on the map on the western flank of Mhaoriach continues all the way to the break of slope at 700m. It’s nearly complete but occasionally indistinct, a couple of small sections have been washed out/collapsed. It is possibly the steepest stalkers path in Scotland, past stalkers of Kinlochourn were fit buggers and must have neves of steel to get ponies up, and down it with a stag on their backs!

Of the three ridges descending N from Spidean Mialich the Western one is the most straight forward and trodden, as would be expected from the stalkers path heading up on to it from the glen. The middle one has some grade one scrambling should you do choose, the eastern one (from point 966m) terminates in a loose buttress., which can be bypassed. The middle and eastern one have very little evidence of foot traffic to follow.
Scraggygoat

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion