walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Meall Chuaich Questions

Meall Chuaich Questions

Postby craigcarmichael » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:45 pm

Hello!
Does anyone know if it is possible to access from Meall Chuaich from Dalwhinnie station without (too) much of a walk? Is there an access point across the river? Thanks in advance.
craigcarmichael

Munros:104   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Islands:10

Re: Meall Chuaich Questions

Postby al78 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:07 am

Looking at the OS map there is a track which starts from the southern edge of Dalwhinnie about a km from the station which crosses the river, goes under the A9 and takes you right to the base of the hill (hydro road?). It looks navigable by mountain bike at least up to loch Cuaich if you wanted to cut down on the walk in and back time.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby jmarkb » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:37 am

I'm sure that route works - there was a previous thread about it here https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83388 And this trip report https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=84814 describes it, along with an alternative via the Glen Truim road and Cuaich farm.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby penelope1 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:38 am

Hi Craigcarmichael, as Al78 has suggested the track that starts on the east side of the A889 about 1km south of the station gives a pleasant walk or bike run beside the aqueduct that runs as far as the Allt Cuaich dam. I've used this route in to the hills around Meall Cuaich a few times an I prefer it to trying to park beside the A9. Admittedly it was a couple of years ago that I last went up there but the track was in good condition then. The only thing to note is that a bike might be handy for the track section as it's about 8 km in total from the station to the foot of Meall Cuaich. Hope you enjoy your walk !
penelope1

Munros:222   Corbetts:87
Fionas:6   Donalds:4

Postby Giant Stoneater » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:23 pm

Slighty better route though longer, if you have a bike is Kingussie,cycle along B970 to Tromie Bridge and head down Glen Tromie to Bran Cottage where the path starts for Meall Chuach.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby nigheandonn » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:42 pm

I was going to come and say I'd done it, but I see jmarkb already has! The southern route from near the hotel is a better track - the Cuaich route was fine, and gave a nice view ahead, but I did feel a bit like I shouldn't be there.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby weedavie » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:32 pm

The worst thing about Dalwhinnie Station is Dalwhinnie and the next thing is that not all trains stop there so you can be stuck there some time. With a bike, cycling Dalwhinnie to Cuaich to Blair Atholl can be fitted with a pint at the Atholl Arms. I'm not sure what happens now with Covid but then it was approximately 9.20 to 5.25 which was quite do-able. With a westerly the miles from Drumochter to Blair are practically exercise-free.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby al78 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:36 am

weedavie wrote:The worst thing about Dalwhinnie Station is Dalwhinnie and the next thing is that not all trains stop there so you can be stuck there some time. With a bike, cycling Dalwhinnie to Cuaich to Blair Atholl can be fitted with a pint at the Atholl Arms. I'm not sure what happens now with Covid but then it was approximately 9.20 to 5.25 which was quite do-able. With a westerly the miles from Drumochter to Blair are practically exercise-free.

I assume you are talking about cycling to loch Cuaich, climbing the hill then cycling back to Dalwhinnie, then cycle along the cycle track parallelling the A9, not hike-a-bike across to the Gaick pass and cycling south.

That is a fair amount of effort in one day, but it does have the bonus that the ride south from Dalwhinnie is almost entirely downhill. The downside is you are cycling in close proximity to a busy primary route with HGVs thundering past and tourists spending too much time looking at the scenery instead of the road ahead.
al78
Walker

Postby weedavie » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:20 am

al78 wrote:That is a fair amount of effort in one day, but it does have the bonus that the ride south from Dalwhinnie is almost entirely downhill. The downside is you are cycling in close proximity to a busy primary route with HGVs thundering past and tourists spending too much time looking at the scenery instead of the road ahead.

Yes, I worried about that but the road is less intrusive than you'd think. In the first third, you're often under the level of the road or well away on a mile before Dalnaspidal. The remainder is mostly the old A9 and is a total pleasure.
I don't mind tourists looking at the scenery, it's the accumulation of things on the verge that have been chucked out the windae that enrages.

One down side is it's not gritted so I remember a fearful evening where one icy evening I just went for it in darkness not daring to touch the brakes. It's also a good way of doing the western Drumochters. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57476
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby al78 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:30 pm

weedavie wrote:
al78 wrote:That is a fair amount of effort in one day, but it does have the bonus that the ride south from Dalwhinnie is almost entirely downhill. The downside is you are cycling in close proximity to a busy primary route with HGVs thundering past and tourists spending too much time looking at the scenery instead of the road ahead.

I don't mind tourists looking at the scenery ...

I don't mind tourists looking at the scenery if they do so safely (i.e. pull into a layby or do no more than glance whilst driving), I do mind people looking at the scenery if they are taking significant attention off the road whilst doing so.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2203144/One-drivers-prangs-near-miss-eyes-road--Stonehenge-likely-distract-us.html

Driving a motor vehicle externalises risk onto others, so it must be done carefully and considerately.
al78
Walker

Postby simon-b » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:06 pm

al78 wrote:tourists spending too much time looking at the scenery instead of the road ahead.

I was looking at the A9 ahead, therefore missed the Meall Chuaich layby, and had to double back!

Then again, there are tourists who only seem to look at the road ahead and never check their rear view mirror.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby craigcarmichael » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:37 pm

Ah thats great to hear re the path. Thanks for the help everyone :D
craigcarmichael

Munros:104   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Islands:10

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion