walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Taxis around Kinlochewe Area?

Taxis around Kinlochewe Area?

Postby Fractral » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:26 pm

I'm planning a walking trip post-lockdown which will finish in Kinlochewe. The bus isn't running on the day of the week we're planning to head back, and it's not feasible for my walking partner to wait for it so we'd like to book a Taxi to take us to Achnasheen station for the train back. Can anyone recommend a taxi company which serves the Kinlochewe area?

My google-fu has so far only turned up a few companies based in Inverness and Ullapool which seems like quite a distance. Alternatively, are there other options for *safe* public transport between Kinlochewe and Inverness?

TIA for any suggestions.
Fractral
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:71
Fionas:47   Donalds:28+8
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:114
Wainwrights:121   Islands:5

Re: Taxis around Kinlochewe Area?

Postby gaffr » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:00 pm

Have you tried the service station in Kinlochewe.. May be able to help you with this?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby nigheandonn » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:33 pm

On other public transport:

There's a bus from Gairloch every morning (except Sunday) - sometimes it runs through Kinlochewe to Inverness or Dingwall, and sometimes via Dundonnell to meet the Ullapool-Inverness bus at Braemore junction.

So it's a bit roundabout, but if the last day is a Tuesday or Saturday, and you would make it to Kinlochewe in time to catch the evening bus up to Gairloch, you might be able to work it out.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby jmarkb » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:03 pm

There is a taxi service in Gairloch, but the reviews on Google are sufficiently discouraging....
Otherwise, there are several in Kyle - they might be more inclined to take the job than ones in Inverness.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Skyelines » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:17 pm

Found this one based in Gairloch https://www.thomsonlocal.com/search/taxis/kinlochewe-ross-shire/hi-jack/1710180/01445712452

Edit - Looks like you might scrub that one.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Skyelines » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:33 pm

Maybe this one - Go Ewe Private Hire · https://www.facebook.com/GoEwePrivateHire/
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:52 pm

I had a run in with a Gairloch taxi driver and couldn't recommend him but it may be different now. I might be able to find out from someone I know in the area.

I would suggest trying the Dingwall taxis. They serve that area and even work weekends in Portree when they are short there. Dingwall is only 40 miles from Kinlochewe and there are far more options of trains and buses from Dingwall. If you contact a taxi firm or a driver before hand they should be able to give you a price and you could maybe even book one if you had a set time.

A run from Kinlochewe to Dingwall is a nice short drive for a Taxi and it might even be worth discussing the price for the driver to take you into Inverness. Phone around and get a quote.

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Tringa » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:14 pm

We have used Go Ewe bloke that Skyerlines mentioned above, twice.

We used him to pick us up at Achnasheen station to go the Gairloch and then the reverse to catch the train for Inverness.

Both time he was on time(he was waiting for us when the train arrived at Achnasheen) and arrived in good time when we asked in Gairloch to get us to the station for the return journey. He is a friendly chatty bloke and on the basis of our two journeys I would recommend him.

If all goes well with the easing of the COVID19 rules in Scotland we will be booking him again in the summer.

As with many people in the Highlands he does a number of jobs so if you use him it would be useful to book him early.

Dave
Tringa

Postby Fractral » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:43 pm

Skyelines wrote:Maybe this one - Go Ewe Private Hire · https://www.facebook.com/GoEwePrivateHire/

Based on your and Tringa's suggestions I will give him a ring, thanks! We'll be staying the night before in Kinlochewe so arranging a time for a pickup is no bother.

Sunset tripper wrote:I would suggest trying the Dingwall taxis.

I'll take a look at these as well. Thanks!
Fractral
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:71
Fionas:47   Donalds:28+8
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:114
Wainwrights:121   Islands:5

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:31 am

7 years ago our train arrived late at Inverness for our connecting train to Achnashellach and Scotrail laid on a taxi for the journey at their cost, i queried the taxi driver about the cost and he said it was about £100.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby al78 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:59 am

Giant Stoneater wrote:7 years ago our train arrived late at Inverness for our connecting train to Achnashellach and Scotrail laid on a taxi for the journey at their cost, i queried the taxi driver about the cost and he said it was about £100.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I looked up online the cost of a taxi from Horsham to Heathrow, about the same distance and on one of the busiest stretches of road in the country, and it was around £60.

Is the Scottich highlands really nearly twice as expensive to live and do business as SE England, or has the region jumped on the rip off Britain bandwagon? It is likely more a case of lets exploit people who have no other choice.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:17 pm

al78 wrote:
Giant Stoneater wrote:7 years ago our train arrived late at Inverness for our connecting train to Achnashellach and Scotrail laid on a taxi for the journey at their cost, i queried the taxi driver about the cost and he said it was about £100.

I looked up online the cost of a taxi from Horsham to Heathrow, about the same distance and on one of the busiest stretches of road in the country, and it was around £60.

Is the Scottich highlands really nearly twice as expensive to live and do business as SE England, or has the region jumped on the rip off Britain bandwagon? It is likely more a case of lets exploit people who have no other choice.

There is a good chance of more return fares on the Horsham to Heathrow route rather than Inverness to Achnashellach which i think would be a million to one chance. Having limited public services does create a case for exploitation for which you have no choice but to pay up or wait for later services.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby al78 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:23 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:
al78 wrote:

There is a good chance of more return fares on the Horsham to Heathrow route rather than Inverness to Achnashellach which i think would be a million to one chance. Having limited public services does create a case for exploitation for which you have no choice but to pay up or wait for later services.

That had since occurred to me that in a densely populated region, a driver can take multiple fares in succession, which will help keep costs down. It just irks me a bit with the advocacy of holiday in the UK, leave your car at home and use public transport, and when you do, you get financially punished for it.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:26 pm

al78 wrote:

You do get fleeced for living in the Highlands, yes. A taxi from Inverness town centre to my flat (3 miles) is about 12 quid. House prices in Highland and Moray are second only to Edinburgh and you generally pay more for everything and have less choice, e.g. car maintenance.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion