walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Stay Home --> Stay Local

Stay Home --> Stay Local

Postby denfinella » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:22 pm

While the Stay at Home guidance is due to be replaced by "Stay Local" next week, it looks like we may still be confined to local authority areas for travel / walking. Is this correct, or do people think there be some flexibility built in, given the change in overall message?

For example, I live within Edinburgh, but very close to the Midlothian boundary. I would quite like to be able to travel 9 miles to the Moorfoot Hills (for example, Gladhouse Reservoir is 8 miles beyond the Edinburgh border, in Midlothian) for a change from the Pentlands! :lol: I would probably personally interpret 9 miles as "local", but accept that it is further than the "5 mile beyond the border" rule currently in force.

(Edit: I should probably clarify that I have no intention of breaking any rules - I'm just trying to work out what they are / will be)
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Stay Home --> Stay Local

Postby jmarkb » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:45 pm

denfinella wrote:While the Stay at Home guidance is due to be replaced by "Stay Local" next week, it looks like we may still be confined to local authority areas for travel / walking. Is this correct, or do people think there be some flexibility built in, given the change in overall message?

I think that is correct - the difference is that we will be able to travel within the local authority area for non-essential purposes, but that does not make any difference to travelling for exercise, which counts as an essential purpose.

Note that you if you haven't done so already, you can go as far as Carlops, West Linton and Badinsgill and still start/finish your exercise within 5 miles of the nearest point on the Edinburgh border (on East Cairn Hill). That end of the Pentlands is a lot quieter (and also rougher and boggier, but not as bad as the Moorfoots!)
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Alex W » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:30 pm

I'm afraid the ban on travel outside your local authority area (with exceptions) is not due to be lifted until 26th April.

I can see no rhyme or reason for keeping it in place, but that is the rule and we need to stick to it for the few weeks left.

As above, you can get to places South of the range - you can also get to the car park at Little Vantage and access the drove road and the West Pentland hills. Harperig reservoir is also within range.

I too have been treading the Pentlands and would love a change. The Pentlands are magnificent and I enjoy being there, but it's time for a bit of a change.
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby Backpacker » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:32 pm

Alex W wrote:I'm afraid the ban on travel outside your local authority area (with exceptions) is not due to be lifted until 26th April.

I can see no rhyme or reason for keeping it in place, but that is the rule and we need to stick to it for the few weeks left.

As above, you can get to places South of the range - you can also get to the car park at Little Vantage and access the drove road and the West Pentland hills. Harperig reservoir is also within range.

I too have been treading the Pentlands and would love a change. The Pentlands are magnificent and I enjoy being there, but it's time for a bit of a change.

Not strictly true, you’ll be allowed to leave your LA area for an essential purpose. Exercise falls under an essential purpose, given how loosely it’s been treated by the public this lockdown, it’ll be treated just as loose from the 2nd, just my opinion
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Alex W » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:05 pm

Backpacker wrote:
Alex W wrote:I'm afraid the ban on travel outside your local authority area (with exceptions) is not due to be lifted until 26th April.

Not strictly true, you’ll be allowed to leave your LA area for an essential purpose. Exercise falls under an essential purpose, given how loosely it’s been treated by the public this lockdown, it’ll be treated just as loose from the 2nd, just my opinion

You are still bound by the 5 mile rule on exercise. As I said the ban on travelling outside the LA area has exceptions, but the exercise exception is limited to the 5 mile rule. That isn't being lifted until 26th April at earliest unless the SG changes the indicative dates.

It can be treated loosely as you say, but the OP said they wanted to stay within the rules - the travel rule isn't changing for a few weeks yet.
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby The Reluctant Walker » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:33 pm

I'm very confused on what 'Stay Local means aswell. I live in Inverness so my LA is the Highlands, which spans from Wick to Fort William. Does that mean I'm allowed to travel within that whole area from Friday?
I've been staying within Inverness city while 'Stay at Home' is in place, but 'Stay Local' feels a bit too vague for me.

I don't want to break any rules or upset someone, I just want to know if I can hill walk around Torridon or Glen Affric from Friday or the 26th? :crazy:
The Reluctant Walker
Hill Bagger

Munros:82   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   
Islands:28

Postby Flat Earther » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:42 pm

In England we have simply a polite request for guidance.

"Travelling : You should minimise travel as much as possible. Avoid the busiest times and routes."

What the rules are for crossing into Scotland for a day hike seem unclear. You wont be breaking any laws getting to the border.
Flat Earther
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:11 pm

I don't think there has been any date published in Scotland for the end of the travel ban to/from England.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby JonetCol » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:31 pm

It can't be easy making a rule thet's abuse proof, and whilst I accepted and complied, the rules were problematic both N & S of the border. Whilst the English one was imprecise, we could travel 50+ miles in our own county, but not drive 5 miles to a neighbouring LA area?
JonetCol
Munro compleatist

Munros:112   Corbetts:1

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:12 pm

jmarkb wrote:
denfinella wrote:While the Stay at Home guidance is due to be replaced by "Stay Local" next week, it looks like we may still be confined to local authority areas for travel / walking. Is this correct, or do people think there be some flexibility built in, given the change in overall message?

I think that is correct - the difference is that we will be able to travel within the local authority area for non-essential purposes, but that does not make any difference to travelling for exercise, which counts as an essential purpose.

Yes, the move to stay local makes little difference regarding outdoor recreation. The disappointing thing for me has been the guidance and lack of good advice for hillwalkers. I know many people in the highlands have not been out much due to the rules not being explained properly, or doubt cast as to what was legal. It has been perfectly legal and within the guidance (and the spirit of the law :roll: ) for folk to travel the length of the highland area for, very low risk, outdoor recreation but none of the bodies representing the hill walking community have said that. I had a good conversation about this after a chance meeting with a policeman on the hills recently.
Also, just recently, under pressure from members who disagreed with folk solo wild camping in local hills, Mountaineering Scotland interpreted this type of recreation should be off limits and changed their advice.

There is no mention of recreational wild camping in the government guidance but Mountaineering Scotland have given their own interpretation of it. Meanwhile having been pressed on the point of people travelling a distance in their own area they have declined to make a recommendation on it but referred people to the general government advice and decide for themselves.

I imagine it will all culminate with thousands perfectly legally and with in the guidance descending (or maybe ascending :roll: ) on hills like Lomond, Nevis etc. just like last time and the other popular highland hill areas will be rammed also. :crazy:

Ben Nevis summit queue - August 2020
20200809_124205.jpg

There are going to be a lot of stir crazy folk hitting the hills come the 26th of April - with a bit of luck it will all go well. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby gman » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:04 pm

The current law allowing exercise/recreation starting & ending at a point within 5 miles of your LA area still applies. Nothing is set in stone, but the plan from 26 April would be:

travel within all of mainland Scotland permitted (subject to other restrictions that remain in place)

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-timetable-for-easing-restrictions/pages/timetable/

The plan appears to be to move all of mainland Scotland to level 3 on that date, but the law for exercise/recreation in level 3 areas is currently the same as level 4. It's assumed that this will be changed closer to the date, but the phrase "subject to other restrictions..." could mean that nothing actually changes until you're in level 2, whenever that is.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Flat Earther » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:49 am

jmarkb wrote:I don't think there has been any date published in Scotland for the end of the travel ban to/from England.

Is this so called "ban" legally enforceable or just "guidance" ?

Having seen the levels of traffic on the M6 heading North, doesn't seem many are paying much heed.
Flat Earther
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:15 am

Travel in or out of Scotland for non-essential reasons is currently against the law: https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-travel-and-transport/#travelbetween
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby gman » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:52 am

Flat Earther wrote:Is this so called "ban" legally enforceable or just "guidance" ?

Current law is here, should be updated with future amendments so worth checking as 26 April approaches.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2020/344/schedule/7A
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jmarkb » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:21 am

gman wrote:Current law is here, should be updated with future amendments so worth checking as 26 April approaches.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2020/344/schedule/7A

Thanks - I was struggling to find the right link!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion