walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Right to roam v Private Road

Re: Right to roam v Private Road

Postby Soldier of fortune » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:17 pm

Just say thank you to all our interfering, devolved administration, councils, land owners, lawyers and obnoxious people who always think they are right.
Soldier of fortune
Stravaiging

Munros:43   Corbetts:6

Postby Navvarr » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:32 pm

Honestly- top law firm - where's my rolling eyes emoji.
My privacy is being invaded? Well it certainly wasn't the day we walked past- in fact- you invaded our privacy.

I would have popped by today, but I was up at Glenfinnan- guess what? Walking along a road marked Private Road that leads to two Munros.
No-one tried to stop me- in fact I got a few cheery good mornings. I visited a Bothy and had a laugh to myself- given the whole ethos of Bothies being open to all- could just imagine a chap like you claiming one as your own and not letting anyone else in.

Anyway, looking good for tomorrow, I quite fancy a local walk.
Navvarr
Munro compleatist

Munros:75   Corbetts:7

Postby Iluvsuliven » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:27 am

Shame on you OP.
Iluvsuliven
Rambler

Postby Navvarr » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:23 am

Marty_JG wrote:
al78 wrote:Using it to go right up to someones window and gawp through it is not.

I agree that would be completely unacceptable but I'm deeply sceptical that it has happened let alone regularly. We all see a lot of walkers in the hills passing farms and homes and do we really see that happening let alone on a regular basis?

Hoards of dirty walkers constantly putting their noses and chins on their panes of glass? That is really happening?

It's not happening on any regular basis, the guy is completely at it. Walk past his house and he'll be out to confront you full of his sincerely held belief that you're infringing his privacy / trespassing/ trying to peak in his windows etc etc.

He's legally not got a leg to stand on, if he'd any sense he'd realise that and pipe down.

I have contacted the Access Officer, they've looked into it and we have responsible access- that's all there is to say really.

The Access Officer will be making contact shortly with the estate- whether they include this fellow, I'm not sure since it's not his land we're walking on- despite hiw much he'd like it to appear to be- legally it's not.

Reading out people's dealings with this fellow- it seems we were all just passing by- nobody was walking through his garden, nobody was peaking in his windows either- that's almost certainly someone very much in the minority who's done that or it's a made up issue to try to justify denying people access.
Navvarr
Munro compleatist

Postby Iluvsuliven » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:47 am

OP you make me ashamed to be part of the Scottish Rambling Community. House owner - I am not getting involved in the debate but let me apologise on behalf of the rest of us ramblers. OPs bullying, threatening, nasty spoilt child, snide posts are not something I or my rambling friends wish to be associated with. He, assuming it is a he, does not speak for us all.
Iluvsuliven
Rambler

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:24 am

Navvarr wrote:Honestly- top law firm - where's my rolling eyes emoji.
My privacy is being invaded? Well it certainly wasn't the day we walked past- in fact- you invaded our privacy.

I would have popped by today, but I was up at Glenfinnan- guess what? Walking along a road marked Private Road that leads to two Munros.
No-one tried to stop me- in fact I got a few cheery good mornings. I visited a Bothy and had a laugh to myself- given the whole ethos of Bothies being open to all- could just imagine a chap like you claiming one as your own and not letting anyone else in.

Anyway, looking good for tomorrow, I quite fancy a local walk.
Do you possess a bodycam? Could be useful.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:39 am

Navvarr wrote:Not being an expert on Rights of Way and Rights to roam I contacted the Stirling Council Access Officer.

The Access Officer has reviewed this and has informed me that a 'Right of responsible access' DOES APPLY.

In short, we can walk right past your property and you have no right to stop us.

This is the long and the short of it.

Walkers who from how get harassed by the home-owner should contact the access officer and file a report with the police.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Navvarr » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:04 am

Iluvsuliven wrote:OP you make me ashamed to be part of the Scottish Rambling Community. House owner - I am not getting involved in the debate but let me apologise on behalf of the rest of us ramblers. OPs bullying, threatening, nasty spoilt child, snide posts are not something I or my rambling friends wish to be associated with. He, assuming it is a he, does not speak for us all.

So, as a rambler you actually support someone trying to close off a road that they have no right to do?

No bullying here- I contacted the Access Officer, found out where both parties stand and I'll continue to use the path.

I'm not the one coming out of my house to harass passing folk- quite simply if he'd not approached me that day- I'd not have apprached him.

Intersting that you're that one dissenting voice among a whole thread full of separate people who actually can see through this person.
Navvarr
Munro compleatist

Postby Skmf16 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:19 am

The tone of this thread is incredibly threatening and Navarr should be utterly ashamed of himself. Clearly you are viewing this as some kind of personal vendetta. You may think this is ok but when your 5 year old daughter comes in from playing in the garden to say there are people in our garden there is a serious issue and any decent human being would agree. We’ve also had one of our bins set on fire and whilst I appreciate this is unlikely to be a rambler we are sick on tired of the abuse we get for merely trying to protect our property and family. Incidentally, before you pipe up our land runs to stockiemuir road and to the track you like to use to cut through to Edenmill. Individuals who think it’s ok to cut across it as a shortcut has become a common occurrence irrespective of your spin. We look forward to having a chat with the access officer to present our version of events and seeing as our house is surrounded by cctv and have evidence to support this I look forward to his response.
Put yourself in our shoes and ask yourself what you would do in our position or are you so selfish that you just don’t care?
Skmf16

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:33 am

Navvarr wrote:
Iluvsuliven wrote:OP you make me ashamed to be part of the Scottish Rambling Community. House owner - I am not getting involved in the debate but let me apologise on behalf of the rest of us ramblers. OPs bullying, threatening, nasty spoilt child, snide posts are not something I or my rambling friends wish to be associated with. He, assuming it is a he, does not speak for us all.

So, as a rambler you actually support someone trying to close off a road that they have no right to do?

No bullying here- I contacted the Access Officer, found out where both parties stand and I'll continue to use the path.

I'm not the one coming out of my house to harass passing folk- quite simply if he'd not approached me that day- I'd not have apprached him.

Intersting that you're that one dissenting voice among a whole thread full of separate people who actually can see through this person.

Just an educated guess, but I reckon the homeowner "luvs" Suilven also :lol:

Looks like the Homeowner got binned as well (last post on Page 2). Unfortunate.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Iluvsuliven » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:54 am

The home owner doesn’t luv suliven.

Anyway thanks for you two - you have just proven my point. Good bye. Admin you haven’t banned me yet. Please do so immediately because this is incredibly biased and this site is promoting appalling behaviours.
Iluvsuliven
Rambler

Postby Navvarr » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:09 pm

I started this thread to highlight unacceptable behaviour from a homeowner and to seek advice in order to do the right thing.

Thing is that if the Access Officer had come back to me stating that this path was indeed out of bounds then I'd respect that. However, as already demonstrated by a number of people far better informed than I and along with the Access Officer- the path is certainly not out of bounds and and attemp to try to declare it such- well I'll challenge it and it seems quite a number of other folk feel the same.

Nothing said by the homeowner actually stands up to scrutiny- he's not plagued by passers by throwing litter into his garden, he's not got people popping ladders up to peak in his windows, any normal person who functions in society will recognise a garden and know not to enter without being invited.

In my experience, all I along with my friends was walking along Cameron Avenue for about 200m to rejoin the road to get to my car parked at the Queens Views- perfectly acceptable use of that path.

Feel free to argue differently without going if a huff, I suspect you'll be in the minority though.
Navvarr
Munro compleatist

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:02 pm

jupe1407 wrote:Just an educated guess, but I reckon the homeowner "luvs" Suilven also :lol:

Indeed. They even use the same insult, "shame". New accounts favouring the same terminology is rarely a coincidence.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Glengavel » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:23 pm

Iluvsuliven wrote:The home owner doesn’t luv suliven.

Anyway thanks for you two - you have just proven my point. Good bye. Admin you haven’t banned me yet. Please do so immediately because this is incredibly biased and this site is promoting appalling behaviours.

Preventing people from access where they have a right is pretty appalling behaviour.
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby Navvarr » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:10 pm

Skmf16 wrote:The tone of this thread is incredibly threatening and Navarr should be utterly ashamed of himself. Clearly you are viewing this as some kind of personal vendetta. You may think this is ok but when your 5 year old daughter comes in from playing in the garden to say there are people in our garden there is a serious issue and any decent human being would agree. We’ve also had one of our bins set on fire and whilst I appreciate this is unlikely to be a rambler we are sick on tired of the abuse we get for merely trying to protect our property and family. Incidentally, before you pipe up our land runs to stockiemuir road and to the track you like to use to cut through to Edenmill. Individuals who think it’s ok to cut across it as a shortcut has become a common occurrence irrespective of your spin. We look forward to having a chat with the access officer to present our version of events and seeing as our house is surrounded by cctv and have evidence to support this I look forward to his response.
Put yourself in our shoes and ask yourself what you would do in our position or are you so selfish that you just don’t care?

No, no vendetta here- actually just minding my own business walking along a path that we're all allowed to walk along- that's it- merely walking and chatting as demonstrated by the GPS track. So no one has the right to try to deny us from doing that- No one. No laws are being broken.

A couple of years ago I had an issue whereby a neighbour's dog was fouling my lawn, I spoke with the neighbour and the issue stopped- I didn't attempt to try to ban every dog owner from walking past my home, and indeed I'd have looked quite foolish if I had.

When I'm passing by your property I'll be passing by quietly, as I always do, there will be no incursion into your garden, I'll not set fire to your bins, I'll not be wandering through your garden and I certainly won't be causing any upset to your daughter. However, I will be passing by and then continuing my walk along to Edenmill or perhaps coming from Edenmill- there is no way you can actually stop me without breaking the law.

You're the one who is trying to stop people from passing by without having a legal right to do so- and seemingly creating new users and posting against me is quite childish and petty, you are now looking rather foolish.

If someone could perhaps point out what's threatening or bullying about this I'd be quite happy to respond to that specifically, it sounds more like you've been found out, you have no legal basis to deny access and are interpreting my right of responsible access as something more than a right to enjoy a walk locally with friends along a path which if we were just left to enjoy would result in zero impact on you or your family.
Navvarr
Munro compleatist

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion