walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Suggestions please - 2 day walk with 1 night wild camping

Re: Suggestions please - 2 day walk with 1 night wild campin

Postby rgf101 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:31 am

That sounds about right then. I'm a little dubious about the Lairig Ghru, as it's two longish days in a row, with at least one being a tough one, and no guarantee of a good night's sleep in between, but I don't know your kids.
rgf101

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:24 pm

rgf101 wrote: I'm a little dubious about the Lairig Ghru, as it's two longish days in a row, with at least one being a tough one, and no guarantee of a good night's sleep in between, but I don't know your kids.

Agreed; winter hangs on a long time in the pass, and now I'm thinking of the stonefall, and steep-sided holes in the frozen snow, making ten-foot ice cliffs with a deep water pool at the bottom and no easy way out. At least one child has died in the pass since I came to know the region, I don't want anyone else making the same tragic mistake. The pass acts as a wind-tunnel with howling, chilling gales even when the air on either side seems still and mild. Camping at Loch Morlich with a spot of canoeing might be more enjoyable for the kids.

IMG_1329#p#r.jpg
Cairngorms, Feb 2019. Reciprocating cloud and freezing fog formation.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby rgf101 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:40 pm

Aye, but they want to go for a 2 day walk with 1 night wild camping. They're not going to do circuits of Loch Morlich.

Another issue is that they're starting in Glasgow, and the Aviemore-Braemar car shuffle will be a royal pain. So I think the LG is a bit too impractical anyway.
rgf101

Postby Jon and Jen » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:04 am

rgf101 wrote:Aye, but they want to go for a 2 day walk with 1 night wild camping. They're not going to do circuits of Loch Morlich.

Another issue is that they're starting in Glasgow, and the Aviemore-Braemar car shuffle will be a royal pain. So I think the LG is a bit too impractical anyway.

I did the LG from Blair Atholl as the bus from Aviemore comes straight back to the car. Not easily done in 2 days though.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion