walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

West Linton Parking Area Coned Off

West Linton Parking Area Coned Off

Postby thedonalds » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:57 pm

Yet another attempt to prevent access......the strip of car parking at the access road off the Medwyn Road that leads to West Linton golf club and onwards to Slipperfield & West Water Resv'r has been coned off to prevent parking. Don't know when this happened as today was my first trip out that way since the latest lockdown but it has the effect of preventing sensible access to the popular Garvald and Baddingsgill loop walks.
This parking area has been in existence for longer than I can remember and as far as I am aware has never caused any obstruction. In fact the cones take up more room than the cars did so quite why this has happened is beyond me. This has all the makings of an over-officious local authority who should be promoting access, not preventing it.

Car parking in normal times
Screenshot 2021-04-17 at 15.54.16.png
thedonalds
Walker

Munros:22   Corbetts:7
Fionas:22   Donalds:87+48
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:26

Re: West Linton Parking Area Coned Off

Postby denfinella » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:32 pm

I walked past on April 2nd (and also in January) and there weren't any cones then :(
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby thedonalds » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:07 pm

Checked again today as I passed through West Linton and the parking area on the side road off Medwyn Road remains coned off. As might be expected folk have taken to parking on the verges of the Medwyn Road.......
thedonalds
Walker

Postby jmarkb » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:08 pm

That's annoying - maybe worth contacting the Community Council https://www.westlintoncc.com/ ?
I don't see anything relevant in their recent meeting minutes/agendas though. On the other hand, it's not that long a walk up from the village, where there are ample parking options.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby DunThinkin » Wed May 05, 2021 4:07 pm

This is outrageous. I have been meeting my family here and walking for decades. And for the person who says you can walk from the village, parking is actually more of a nuisance there and you try getting a three year old up that road.

During lockdown a number of landholders have clearly had a scare and tried to block access to increasing numbers.
I have never seen a car delayed by more than a few moments and the well heeled members of west linton golf course should be ashamed of themselves trying to block access to the countryside that they enjoy. Who owns the road anyway?
DunThinkin
Walker

Postby Gleneagle5 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:50 pm

If the golf club car park is not busy they'll let you park if you buy a coffee.
Gleneagle5
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:19
Fionas:10   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:18   

Postby thedonalds » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:03 pm

Passed the end of the gold club road in West Linton yesterday, 16 January, and parking on this short stretch of road has now been reinstated. Don't know when this happened but it looks as if things are back to normal. I can only assume that the parking ban was an over-zealous reaction to Covid.
thedonalds
Walker

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:19 pm

That's good news - many thanks for the update!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion