walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

So how busy was it?

So how busy was it?

Postby denfinella » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:32 pm

I thought it might be useful / interesting to keep a record of how busy it is on the hills this summer - might help inform others for future visits.

Date: Saturday 17 April (first weekend of free travel)
Weather: Sunny
Route: Ettrick Hills horseshoe

There was only 1 other car at the car park at 9am, but 7 cars (i.e. pretty much full) when we got back at at 2.30pm. I would guess that is busier than normal for this area. There is more space to park further back along the road, however.

The walk itself was very quiet - only saw 1 other person as the rest were probably behind us and walking the same route in the same direction :lol:
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: So how busy was it?

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:08 pm

Busier than expected. Turned up at 0730 to the parking area at Loch Eigheach which was almost already full. Did Beinn Pharlagain, Sgor Gaibhre, Sgor Choinnich and Carn Dearg. Hills were actually quiet enough (though this route isn't very popular) - saw a group of five out and another one person later. There were probably more people out fishing and cycling than on the hills.

Clearly a lot of folk camping. All the usual spots along Loch Rannoch were all taken. A9 back up to Inverness was dead but southbound was pretty steady.

All in wasn't too busy but Rannoch Station doesn't tend to be that busy.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby jupe1407 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:44 pm

Not very. Parked at the usual start point on the Angus/P&K border for Mealna Letter then onto Mount Blair. Two other cars there. Saw about 3 folk all day until we met a group of 4 just as we were returning from Mount Blair to the car.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby gaffr » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:31 am

Out on my old velo yesterday from the wildlife park area ...cycle trail beside the A9...into Kincraig and up to the start of off-road trails and paths from Ard Geal (new section of the Speyside Way) crossed the West Feshie minor road at the entrance to Uath Lochans. Maybe six or so motors at the parking there. Continued on the Way via Creag Far-leitire and a mixture of both Badenoch Way and Speyside Way paths to area of Drumguish then up and over to Baileguish and then to connect with Glen Feshie near to Stronetoper ... bridge over the Feshie to then follow the trail to gain the minor road at Achlean....road back down the Glen with a few diversions on wee paths to regain the New cycle track.
DSC_0806.jpg
The Achlean parking area.
DSC_0807.jpg
The Allt Ruadh parking area.

All the Parking was orderly and self organised to make thinks easy for the folks leaving the areas.... Thirty motors at Achlean and another twenty at Allt Ruadh there were maybe another fifteen cars parked well off road between the two very full parking spots.
My daughter was in a very quiet area yesterday for a traverse of the two summits of Suilven.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Holly » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:25 pm

Ben Klibreck on Friday was really quiet. One guy passed me at the start. Apart from meeting him again when he was coming back down, I met a guy and his son nearly at the top and that was that.
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby paulG2 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:30 pm

Linn of Dee was still quiet at 2pm on Friday when I came off the hill. Might have got busier later on that day though.
paulG2
Munro compleatist

Munros:172   Corbetts:25
Fionas:1   Donalds:9

Postby CharlesT » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:07 pm

Appreciate the interest here is mainly Scottish, but I made my first visit to Wales on Friday following the lifting of the ban on travelling from England. Climbed Plynlimon via Y Garn from the Nant y Moch reservoir road. Saw one other person all day, a lady runner near the top of Plynlimon. Had the whole range and a sunny day to myself, delightful! 😁
plyn.jpg
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby LobeyD » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:23 pm

Was (pleasantly) surprised how quiet Glen Etive was on Friday, to the point that I regretted the pre-7am start from Glasgow. Was in second nearest parking slot at Coileitir, although there was a couple of cars slightly further on. Not much busier at 3.30pm when I got back and only saw a handful of folk on Eun and Albannich. Suspect this won't last.....

Word of warning though, there is a lot of activity now with the hydro works and what look like forestry stuff. The 2-3 car bay just short of Invercharnan that is useful for Fhionnlaidh and Ulaidh has gone. Might be more non-tourist traffic during the week and some pretty big vehicles moving up and down. The path down to the bridge and Coileitir is now an access road with a new bridge next to the old one. Bit of a mess but you are soon past it. Was so glad to be out on a great day it barely registered to be honest.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jmarkb » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:39 pm

Ben Challum on Friday - felt more like normal weekend busy, met about a dozen folk. As usual, ample parking space at Auchtertyre, which is my preferred start point for this one. Ben Ledi and Ben Each parking spots fairly full, but plenty of spaces for Ben More.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby denfinella » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:16 pm

Also might be worth noting that Stirling council tweeted "all of our rural car parks are full" at about midday yesterday. (Clearly this would not have been the case, but I guess the usual candidates in the Trossachs and at Balmaha etc. probably were.)
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Pads4 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:53 pm

denfinella wrote:Also might be worth noting that Stirling council tweeted "all of our rural car parks are full" at about midday yesterday. (Clearly this would not have been the case, but I guess the usual candidates in the Trossachs and at Balmaha etc. probably were.)

Driving through Stirlingshire today at 5am they had big lit up signs saying "Car parks Full" so pretty sure its a constant message to just try and deter people.
Pads4
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Islands:6

Postby widdershins » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:41 pm

Deliberately chose a quieter route well away from Loch Lomond and Munros (Glen Sherup horseshoe) and got an early start from Glasgow. Roads quiet on the way there. Arrived at the parking lot at 8am on Saturday to find only a handful of cars, but by the time we came back down at around 2, the parking lot was probably about 80% full. Pretty stress-free, but I did carefully engineer the day to avoid the parking congestion I saw last year at Rowardennan, Loch Earn and other hotspots.

Not so bad as feared, but I do have a long-anticipated walking holiday coming up which will see me and a pal driving down to Cornwall on the May bank holiday Friday... :-|
widdershins
Wanderer

Munros:13   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:30

Postby Glengavel » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:33 pm

I wonder if people stayed away thinking it would be busy all over? That was my thinking at any rate (that and the shed roof needed refelted :( ).
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby CharlesT » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:04 pm

Glengavel wrote:I wonder if people stayed away thinking it would be busy all over? That was my thinking at any rate (that and the shed roof needed refelted :( ).

I assume the sun was shining then? 😁
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Fairweather Softie » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:13 pm

Ben Challum: 17th April.

Left Glasgow at 0530, 2 cars already in layby when we arrived. Met loads on way back down hill. Layby ful with cars and on verge when we got back to car.

All hills accessible from A82 normal parking areas mobbed and cars on verges on drive back to Glasgow
Fairweather Softie
Mountaineer

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion