walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Can we wild camp ?

Can we wild camp ?

Postby paulG2 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:33 am

Hi everyone

I have asked Mountaineering Scotland and walkhighlands FB page the above question but got conflicting responses. Are we allowed to wild camp ?

I went to Braemar on Friday and saw no one ‘wild camping’ on the notorious A93 campsite ⛺️
paulG2
Munro compleatist

Munros:172   Corbetts:25
Fionas:1   Donalds:9

Re: Can we wild camp ?

Postby AyrshireAlps » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:41 am

In your own local authority, yes.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby davekeiller » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:46 pm

I don't think the coronavirus legislation specifically mentions wildcamping.
I think that the relaxation of travel restrictions this weekend says that if you travel outside your local authority area then you have to return on the same day, so that would suggest that at the moment it's illegal to travel (in a vehicle) outside of your local authority and then wildcamp.
However, it might be technically legal to wildcamp within your local authority area or to walk or cycle outside of your local authority area and then wildcamp. This would be on the common law assumption that anything not specifically forbidden is permitted, although if anyone called the police they might not see it that way and it might be necessary to have your day in court in order to produce case law to definitively rule one way or the other.
It's my understanding that overnight accommodation will be reopening from 26th April, and I would expect that wildcamping would be fine after that date.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:03 pm

There is a specific prohibition on not staying overnight outwith your local authority area.

There appears to be no prohibition within your local authority area.

Bear in mind in terms of "the real world" the police are concerned about large groups of people having parties. Hunting down lone nature campers Derbyshire-style hasn't been part of Police Scotland and as the rules are being relaxed I don't see them becoming overly aggressive now, certainly if it's "just you" and "out of the way".
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby gman » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:47 pm

As above, current law for level 3/4 does not allow overnight stays outside your area (but the police might not consider enforcing this a productive use of their time!).

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2020/344/schedule/5/2021-04-16

(t)undertake exercise or recreation—
(i)outdoors,
F96(ii). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
(iii)is either undertaken—
(aa)alone,
(bb)with members of the person’s household,
(cc)in a gathering within the meaning of paragraph 12(1)(a) F97... or (c),
F98(dd). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
(ee)in a gathering within the meaning of paragraph 13(1)(a), or
(ff)in a gathering within the meaning of paragraph 13(1)(b), [F99and,
(iv)does not involve an overnight stay outwith the area in which the person lives]]
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Flat Earther » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:05 pm

I'd say if it is genuinely wild you will be fine. In a lay bye then you are at risk.

Wild camping is very safe and shouldn't be banned - unless they are worried about midges catching C19.
Flat Earther
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion