walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Talking dogs...

Talking dogs...

Postby Singinghound » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:08 pm

Does anyone have any experience taking their dogs into the Cairngorms, and having them whilst wild camping? I have a fit, obedient dog and would love to have her for my trips. She's good in wild country, as we live in the NY Moors. I have a good harness, dickybag, etc, but would be interested in any do's and don'ts.

Also, if you take your dog wild camping, what provision do you make for bedding?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Singinghound
Mountain Walker

Re: Talking dogs...

Postby Holly » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:47 pm

Been taking mine for years. I have camped in the Cairngorms, done the Cape Wrath Trail and many other wee adventures. Only pain is midge time when the dog normally brings loads of them into the tent no matter how much you try and rub them down...., then there is wet dog and mucky dog. One of mine wears a dog rucksack and carries her food , or some of it as so it’s not overloaded . It’s the ruffwear palisades which doubles as a normal harness and the rucksack bit can be detached. I also use an ezydog waist belt so she can be tethered if necessary to a Boulder instead of me when setting up for example dependent on where I am. Other than that, all good. Enjoy and I am sure you and your dog will have fun and adventures :-)
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Holly » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:49 pm

Oh meant to say I use a cut down thermarest mat for their beds ....
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby KatTai » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:12 pm

I take a spare inflatable mat for mine to sleep on and they have dogrobes to put on when they are wet/muddy to dry them off. They also have a rucksack to carry their own stuff. A spare lead is handy to pack along and I use a neem spray which deters the midges.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby AyrshireAlps » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:13 am

AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby neil684 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:55 am

An awful warning: my son took his Old English Sheepdog for an overnight camp in winter on the edge of the Cairngorms. He only walked about 5 miles then set up camp, had supper and retired to bed. About 2.00 in the morning the dog became restless and my son thought she wanted to go out and 'do her business'.

WRONG

The stupid mutt wanted to go out and play and, to this end, jumped into the nearby burn!

Faced with a soaking wet dog in the middle of the night in winter, my son gave in and retired to his car.

This story has kept the rest of the family in stitches ever since.😆
neil684
Mountain Walker

Postby AyrshireAlps » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:21 pm

Lol, that's brilliant! :lol:
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:28 pm

You'll need plenty of this stuff. Though dogs never get a round in themselves; they say it costs too much - it's seven times as much in Dog Money...

Dog Beer#2.jpg
Dog Beer
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby neil684 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:59 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:You'll need plenty of this stuff. Though dogs never get a round in themselves; they say it costs too much - it's seven times as much in Dog Money...

Dog Beer#2.jpg

Give a dog beer, NEVER. They're daft enough stone cold sober! :shock:
neil684
Mountain Walker

Postby Manwaeadug » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:30 pm

Never camped in the Cairngorms, but I do take my dog camping. Water is far more important than food for your dog, make sure to take enough for both of you, you might not find a handy wee stream if we have one of our once a decade dry spells.

I cut down an old sleeping bag for the wee fella to sleep on. He seems to like it, but I can guarantee he'll still try to crawl into mine if it's not zipped!

Make sure to keep all the vents open, even in sub zero temps.... dog farts in a tent are magnified tenfold on the smellometor. :wink:
Manwaeadug
Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   
Walk wish-list

Postby AJ01 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:44 am

neil684 wrote:
Caberfeidh wrote:You'll need plenty of this stuff. Though dogs never get a round in themselves; they say it costs too much - it's seven times as much in Dog Money...

Dog Beer#2.jpg

Give a dog beer, NEVER. They're daft enough stone cold sober! :shock:

I think the beer recommended by Caberfeidh should be alright, as the bottom of the label on the bottle in the photo reads '0% ALC'.

AJ
AJ01

Munros:221   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion