walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Oss from the south?

Ben Oss from the south?

Postby BrianP » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:37 pm

I'd like to know if anyone has ever climbed Ben Oss from the South? From the OS map it looks possible but I've never found any mention of climbing from this side online or in any guide books.

I climbed Beinn Dubhchraig on a winter day a few years ago but didn't have the time to climb Ben Oss as well, it would be interesting to climb it using a different route.

There looks like there is a start point on the A82 in Glen Falloch just south of Dubh Eas, then tracks that goes up to a point at NN284235, from where it is less than 2km to the summit.

You could also add Ben Lui and Beinn a'Chleib from this side, that would be a fairly long day or possibly and overnighter.

Another option is to bike up to the top of the track, it would be a slog on the way up, but quick on the way down if the tracks are ridable.

If anyone has ever done this I'd be interested to know how you got on.
BrianP
Munro compleatist

Munros:99   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Ben Oss from the south?

Postby ConnieW » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:17 pm

I've not done it, but when I recently did Meall an Fhudair I asked myself exactly that same question. We returned down the north flank onto the service track and it looked like it would be fairly easy from the end of that track to do Ben Lui and Ben Oss. The photo is taken from Meall nan Caora on the way up. The track is in very good condition and would be easy to cycle.
Attachments
march 2011 006.JPG
Ben Lui and Ben Oss
ConnieW

Munros:94   Corbetts:43
Fionas:21   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Ben Oss from the south?

Postby BrianP » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:16 pm

Thanks for the reply. I've thought of using Meall an Fhudair for a bit of a reccy. Will also help get my mountain legs in to shape.
BrianP
Munro compleatist

Munros:99   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion