walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Degenerative complex tear of medial meniscus

Degenerative complex tear of medial meniscus

Postby Bonzo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:30 pm

Before I continue I'd like to add that I've not accidentally posted on the wrong forum :wink:

Just before Christmas I banged my left thigh against a table corner. Just another knock or so I thought but over the next couple of days my left knee began to swell and movement quickly degenerated. The knee was painful, stiff and problematic for over three months and walking was impossible so it was imperative that I got a MRI scan.

For the last three weeks the knee has been perfect, as if I'd never had a problem in the first place, but the MRI scan has shown that I have a degenerative complex tear of the medial meniscus.

The consultant has advised that I don't have keyhole surgery whilst the knee feels fine and that it's a case of 'see how it goes'.

Have any forum members suffered the same injury? If so, what was the outcome? Am I delaying the inevitable? Shall I just resume normal walking activities and hope for the best?
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:147   

Re: Degenerative complex tear of medial meniscus

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:25 pm

Ahem... :roll:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby ScotFinn65 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:00 pm

I have it on the lateral ( not medial). None left now after 5 operations over 25 years.

Impact for Hillwalking is fine in the beginning with minor pain. I live in Finland now and visit for Munro bagging in bursts. I can still manage 20 Munros over 10 days holiday but the pain is getting worse each year and recovery time is longer after each walk.

I would recommend to live without surgery as long as you can. Once you start removing the meniscus, it is a never ending story.

The only trouble is usually detachment and torn meniscus flapping in the joint. This basically locks the knee and you will need the resection if it cannot be manipulated out with physio.

Good luck 👍
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby Bonzo » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. Useful info.

Looks like 'see how it goes' is the way to go.
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:147   

Postby Moder-dye » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:01 am

Obviously medical/surgery advisers are the ones to listen too and I'm not a Doctor, but as above if you can avoid surgery and do knee strengthening exercises all the better. If there's any excess weight deal with that too as it will have a big affect on the knees.

Single leg balances, eccentric squats, wall sits, leg extension type exercises, plus stretching/release of tension in the hams and quads. Plenty of free videos and advice on google/youtube.

I had similar 11 years ago and was told no need for an MRI we'll see what's needed when we're in there. I didn't have any locking, but it did give way. It did help for a while, but never was 100% and 2.5 years ago I finally had a partial knee replacement.

Good luck with it and regardless you'll really benefit from doing those exercises for your knees pre-op, post op, or no op.
Moder-dye
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion