walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Help! Stob Ban, Stob Choire Clairigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh

Help! Stob Ban, Stob Choire Clairigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh

Postby Eshmeister » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:10 pm

Hi all.....I'm just looking for some advice from anyone who has done Stob Ban (Grey Corries) coupled with either 1 or both of the neighbouring hills as mentioned above? I'm really just looking for a realistic idea of timings to do these hills as I am undecided whether to do Stob Ban + Stob Choire Claurigh as a two or add the third one depending on timings. I am a regular walker, but I like to enjoy my day, have breaks, enjoy the views etc so don't want to be pecking all the way round trying to make daylight! Any advice/timings very much appreciated, thanks. PS I plan on parking thru' the gate at Corriechoille Lodge to make it a little easier. :D
Eshmeister
Mountain Walker

Re: Help! Stob Ban, Stob Choire Clairigh, Stob Coire an Laoi

Postby katyhills » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:13 pm

Hi @Eshmeister, I've done S. Ban with both, and it's a long walk, but perfectly doable.
It was a fair old while ago, so I can't recall how long it took for the two, but I expect it was around 8 or 9 hours or so. I know I stayed overnight somewhere afterwards as I have a long drive and that would have been a killer!
It's a long day to do all three, but once you get onto the ridge, it's not difficult and it wouldn't really be worth not doing all three. I think I did them at this time of year too - there was certainly still some snow on the tops. The worst bit is the schlepp back along the old railroad line.

Doing the other Munro [S. Choinnich Mor] from the Nevis side is a good method too, rather than adding it in as well.
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby jmarkb » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:28 pm

I have done all three in a day - we had really only intended on doing Stob Ban and Stob Coire Claurigh, but it was a perfect late winter's day with good snow conditions, so it seemed like a shame not to carry on and do the ridge out to Laoigh!

All three is about 21km and 1500m of ascent, so probably in the 7-9 hour range for most folk. There is a long drag up onto Claurigh, but the main ridge to Laoigh has surprisingly little further ascent and descent. You can avoid the rough and boggy old railway line by using the forestry tracks (as per https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/greycorries.shtml ).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:00 pm

The four munros took me about 9.5 hours in claggy conditions. Not sure if no views sped me up or slowed me down that day.

:lol:

I'm due a trip back down there soon for the Innses so would be good to hear if the track to past Corriechollie is still as atrocious.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Eshmeister » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:27 pm

Hi Guys - thanks for your replies, really helpful. I was on the approach road on the bike last weekend as far as the bothy. To be honest I seemed to walk a lot of the track to the bothy due to difficult terrain and plan just walking next time as I'm pretty sure I was slower pushing my bike up than I would have been walking!! :lol:
Eshmeister
Mountain Walker

Postby gman » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:52 pm

I cycled in from Spean Bridge and added another hill, but it might give an idea of timings:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29693
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion