walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Alder from Dalwhinnie on foot

Re: Ben Alder from Dalwhinnie on foot

Postby Grahame37 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:46 pm

A few years back I did these two from the Ardverikie gate house at the east end of Loch Laggan. From memory it was just under 11 hours although I walk fast.
Grahame37

Munros:268   Corbetts:159
Donalds:4

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:39 pm

jupe1407 wrote:I've always biked it, but from what I remember it's about 11 miles from Dalwhinnie to the branch off path down to the Allt a'Bhealach Bheithe to then start heading up to the Long Leachas. I would say I'm an averagely to fairly fit walker and would expect to walk that in about 3 hours each way, add in about 5 for the hills themselves, I'd say estimate approx 11-12 hours.

This pretty much nails it. I've done Alder twice by bike and both times we marked an 11 mile cycle in before dumping the bikes. So 22 mile round trip by bike. Add 6 miles or so on the hill.

Walking would be a long tiring day.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:181   
Fionas:1   

Postby simon-b » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:44 pm

These are all very valid suggestions for people who choose to bike or take more than one day, I respect that. But xtina is asking for advice about walking it in a day from Dalwhinnie and back. So please don't let you or your dad be put off, xtina. If you haven't seen my pm yet, let me reiterate: it took me 12.6 hours at the age of 56, a thoroughly memorable and worthwhile day. As for a compleation walk, I did a long one for that too, Lurg Mhor and Sheasgaich in one day on foot, and it left me with a great sense of exhilaration upon compleation. So I think I can get where your dad is coming from. Go for it!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:30 pm

I've cycled in several times it would be a long walk. 12.6 hours is a quick time for walking it. It would be a hard day for me but very rewarding as you say. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby spiderwebb » Sat May 01, 2021 2:08 pm

If you're going to be out this long and you might consider my route from Laggan, plenty of interest :D

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=53618
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby simon-b » Sat May 01, 2021 3:04 pm

spiderwebb wrote:If you're going to be out this long and you might consider my route from Laggan, plenty of interest :D

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=53618

Definitely an interesting route, Dave. One reason I still chose Dalwhinnie is because I used the Luibeg route for the North Alder 4, so more variety overall. Your route would be good for someone who does the North Alders a different way. Grahame37's route sounds interesting too.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby kevsbald » Wed May 05, 2021 6:20 am

Quite simply, he will not thank you for it. It’s 10 miles into Culra bothy; then you have the ascent over the two Munros and still have another 12 miles from the summit of Beinn Bheoil back out.I did this a few years ago, staying in Culra. I did pop up Carn Dearg before the two Munros but all in, it was 51-km of walking. Bikes would make a big difference.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby skullhead » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:54 am

I did the 'other four' on foot from Dalwhinnie and had planned to do Alder and it's closest pal but realised I was going to run out of daylight. If you make it back to the path along the loch before dark you'll be fine. See my report below. I ran the 15km in and out which knocked that down to about 3 hours.

I think in the now longer days what you're suggesting walking at a decent pace could be done in 14 hours or so.

Good luck I'd be interested to know how you get on!

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=105087
skullhead
Hill Bagger

Munros:190   Corbetts:13
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:1   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:08 am

simon-b wrote:Don't go into Culra Bothy like the walker I met did! My friend manages an asbestos laboratory and said a place like that bothy is extremely hazardous, despite what the walker said.

I'm always quite surprised at how blasé walkers are by going in that bothy, I wouldn't chance it. Once shard of that stuff is enough to cause problems in later life. :?
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Marag » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:45 am

I think that the crux of the matter is "He doesnt cycle". I've been into Culra bothy a few times climbing Alder and Geal Carn and would find it hellish if I had to walk the whole way. It actually makes for a really pleasant cycle until you pass Alder lodge where it gets a bit steep. If you want to do these hill AND enjoy them try and get him on a bike. The last time i was up I passed a couple and the woman looked to be in a great deal of pain and with 4 miles to go. I could only imagine her hatred of me (and her partner) when I zoomed past them effortlessly on my bike...
Marag

Munros:222   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

Postby Phil the Hill » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:27 pm

I've just done it on an e-bike, which makes it even easier. No problem with the uphill bits on the track. The only tricky bit is getting it across the shoogly bridge at Loch Pattack. At least if you walk, you can cut the corner by taking the moorland path rather than the track via Loch Pattack. It would be perfectly feasible on foot in a day - just a very long way with a big hill in the middle. But if you use the track from Dalwhinnie it would make navigation easy for the return journey.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Jon and Jen » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:35 pm

It's not that long a walk in and out but it is the most boring 10 miles you will ever cover. Take a bike, it's nothing to miss, just track and forestry. (Not the interesting kind)
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion