walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Alder from Dalwhinnie on foot

Ben Alder from Dalwhinnie on foot

Postby xtina89 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:00 am

Does anyone have any experience of doing Ben Alder & Beinn Bheoil from Dalwhinnie in one day on foot?

I've seen the odd walk report but most involve cycling / camping this route. If I were to go by walkhighlands estimates it is between 13-18 hours but I wanted to check out a few real examples of how long it takes as one walk. I understand this can vary massively and is very subjective based on conditions/ fitness but I still think it would probably be useful information while planning.

My dad is now nearing his completion (late 50s but a fit and speedy hillwalker) and has earmarked these two for us to do when I visit at the end of next month. He absolutely hates camping and doesn't cycle, which is why we are planning this route on foot. :crazy:
xtina89
Mountain Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:14
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:10   Islands:12

Re: Ben Alder from Dalwhinnie on foot

Postby davekeiller » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:14 am

Haven't done it myself yet, but if the estimate is that it would take 13-18 hours that would explain why most people either camp or cycle in.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:30 am

I've always biked it, but from what I remember it's about 11 miles from Dalwhinnie to the branch off path down to the Allt a'Bhealach Bheithe to then start heading up to the Long Leachas. I would say I'm an averagely to fairly fit walker and would expect to walk that in about 3 hours each way, add in about 5 for the hills themselves, I'd say estimate approx 11-12 hours.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Coop » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:40 am

Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Sspaterson » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:08 pm

I cycled in and out in a day for Ben Alder. There were plenty folk walking it but judging by the look on their faces, they looked pretty tired and fed up on the walk back out - it's 10 miles. I had a few jokey comments of how they wished they had a bike. It is an easy, pleasant cycle though.
Sspaterson

Munros:207   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:38

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:28 pm

Its about 30 miles in and out so if you you go 3mph,10hrs of walking with no breaks, i would aim for about 12hrs to 14 hrs, the walk out will be a killer, done it a few times and it is definitely not enjoyable.
The main thing will be how good a walker are you both, and how good stamina wise are you.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:53 pm

I walked in Friday PM, camped then did all 6 and walked out on day 2. I had to stop about 100m from the car because I thought my calves were going to explode.

:shock:

If memory serves I started at Dalwhinnie at 3pm then got to Culra at half 6 or 7. Got up at 5am on the Saturday and was back at the tent for 3pm. Couldn't be bothered staying a second night so walked out and was back at the car for 7pm.

It'd be a lot to do the in and out in one day plus any combination of the hills.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby DopeyLoser » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:59 pm

Put your Dad in a bike trailer and tow him to the hill and back:

bt.jpg

If you love your father, you'll do that for him.
DopeyLoser

Postby al78 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:24 pm

It's a shame there isn't a boat service along the loch like loch Mullardoch. I guess that would take away the remote feeling and wild experience. Some would say difficulty of access is all part of what defines the hill(s).
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby al78 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:36 pm

According to MapMyWalk it is about nine and a half miles from Dalwhinnie railway station to Culra bothy, and about nine miles to walk from Culra up Beinn Bheoil and Ben Alder in a loop, so you are looking at close to 30 miles, about three miles less if you just do an out-and-back to Ben Alder, so it is a big walk for one day. I'd be inclined to carry on walking south west after Ben Alder towards Corrour station and spend the night in the youth hostel. It is about 13 miles from Culra to the youth hostel via Ben Alder summit, but you could knock off a couple more munros en-route (Sgor Gaibhre and Carn Dearg) if you were feeling fit.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby DopeyLoser » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:39 pm

Slightly more seriously, you could also look into https://www.corrour.co.uk/cottages/ as the estate is now into the holiday house rental business. They have properties at the east end of Loch Ossian. You would be able to drive from the public road at Loch Laggan.

From there, Ben Alder would be a manageable walk there and back in a day. The estate is quite environmentally conscious and is using its own hydro electricity, which appears to have involved a nice big vehicle track up the glen on the way to Ben Alder, making the walk even more feasible.

In the evening, have a nice sauna, and congratulate yourself on being in one of Scotland's remote areas, before a comfy night's sleep and driving home the next day.
DopeyLoser

Postby Veryhappybunny » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:22 pm

I can highly recommend the Corrour estate houses - we rented one for a week and Ben Alder and Beinn Bheul were fine for a day trip. Loads of other accessible hills too, and lovely food at the Station House restaurant if you wanna break from self catering.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby rgf101 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:30 pm

Do that and make it a completion celebration, rather than a forced march on the way out.
rgf101

Postby simon-b » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:57 pm

Yes, I've done it. Not that difficult due to the ease of the walk alongside Loch Ericht. I was quite fit at the time but I'm no triathlete.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=56261

With plenty of daylight a fit walker can do it, well worth it if the weather is good. No problem for a man in his 50s with good endurance and hillwalking experience.

Don't go into Culra Bothy like the walker I met did! My friend manages an asbestos laboratory and said a place like that bothy is extremely hazardous, despite what the walker said.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby simon-b » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:33 pm

DopeyLoser wrote:Put your Dad in a bike trailer and tow him to the hill and back:

bt.jpg

If you love your father, you'll do that for him.

Why? Are you saying you'd need somebody to tow you to the hill and back, DopeyLoser? If not, why assume somebody else would?
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion