walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

How did you stay fit during lockdown?

Re: How did you stay fit during lockdown?

Postby rodderss » Sun May 09, 2021 4:55 am

Simon.

Completely agree with the importance of strength training especially as you get older.

Healthy eating can be added to the importance of staying hill fit, it makes a huge difference walking uphill carrying less pounds.

Don’t buy in to the theory only way to get hill fit is by walking up hills.

A mix of cardio, strength training and keeping your weight to a healthy level to me seems to have worked wonders.
A healthy mind helps also especially after being locked down over the dark depressing months, getting the motivation mentally for the long drives to the hills is proving hard to overcome .
rodderss

Munros:47   Corbetts:15
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:29   
Islands:2

Postby litljortindan » Sun May 09, 2021 9:09 am

simon-b wrote:That's an interesting video, litlj. It's known that it's possible to overtrain if someone seriously overdoes it. If somebody has decent base fitness and no underlying health issues, I don't think there's anything wrong with going as fast as possible for short intervals, eg sprinting, burpees etc. Whereas excess ultra endurance activity can potentially be counter productive health wise, numerous experts have stated that.

Slightly tongue in cheek as I can't bracket myself with elite athletes! I would like to be able to keep doing longer walks though so an interesting topic in general and very interesting to see what folk are doing fitness-wise.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby simon-b » Sun May 09, 2021 10:28 am

litljortindan wrote:
simon-b wrote:That's an interesting video, litlj. It's known that it's possible to overtrain if someone seriously overdoes it. If somebody has decent base fitness and no underlying health issues, I don't think there's anything wrong with going as fast as possible for short intervals, eg sprinting, burpees etc. Whereas excess ultra endurance activity can potentially be counter productive health wise, numerous experts have stated that.

Slightly tongue in cheek as I can't bracket myself with elite athletes! I would like to be able to keep doing longer walks though so an interesting topic in general and very interesting to see what folk are doing fitness-wise.

Fair enough litlj, but it was still a worthwhile video to watch, so thanks for posting. As rodderss says, it's not just young, competitive athletes who need to challenge themselves, but also people getting older to maintain their fitness, condition and health. So the question of how much is too much is an interesting topic. Another important point is that it's actually during recovery from exercise when positive adaptations occur, so anyone can overdo it if they don't allow themselves enough rest.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby KatTai » Sun May 09, 2021 11:07 am

Need I say more...

22.JPG

Was a pain when we were allowed out once a day for exercise, doesn't work great with three dogs one of which was better walked on his own or doing canicross (we did a lot of canicross during the first lockdown!) and gets frustrated when the girls are running around (he can't be off lead) but so much easier when they scrapped that idea! Also working a lot in the garden which is more tiring than exercising the dogs!

I was pleased that I hadn't lost as much hill fitness as I thought I would have.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Jasmine_21 » Wed May 12, 2021 2:26 pm

Thanks Simon for starting this topic and very interesting stories from everyone.
For both lockdowns I did so much of cycling, something like 50k in the weekends and daily long walks or running around the city. I think people who live near hills are very lucky in this regard. We had Cotswold of course kind of nearby, but just cycled there a couple of times as far as we could get.
Jasmine_21
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:2   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion