walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Braeriach circuit from Whitewell route questions

Braeriach circuit from Whitewell route questions

Postby AspiringHiker » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:24 pm

Hi there, we are planning to do a Braeriach circuit from Whitewell in a month time using route on walkhighlands. I've looked at previous walk reports and it seems fairly straightforward except for two places - descend to Loch Eanaich (NH 93270 00805) and a ridge like short stretch between Coire's Beanaidh and Bhrochain (NH 95733 00052). How narrow is that ridge? To use a common reference, is it wide and flat enough for a car to pass? Also, for descend to Loch Eanaich, is it sensible to ascend there instead i.e. do the route in reverse of the way it's normally done? Thanks.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Re: Braeriach circuit from Whitewell route questions

Postby gaffr » Sat May 01, 2021 7:49 pm

Quite difficult to give advice to you when you are a new forum person. No offence I hope, but not every one going to the hills blows their horn on this Forum and you may well have some or a lot hill experience
The best I can say is what ways that I have used when in the area of this hill. You say that you wish to do a circuit out via the Lairig Ghru and to return via Glen Eanaich. and then you ask about descending to the Lairig on the slopes south of Coire Bhrochain which would mean returning by some of the same route?
I have used the ridges between coires Beanaidh and Ruadh and also between Ruadh and Lochain to both ascend and descend and ascend Braeriach. Once I ascended via the terrain North of Coire Bogha cloiche but chose to descend by the ridge overlooking the fine Coire Lochain. Still no snow around? you never quite know with our weather systems.
Another way to reach the hill is by the path from the end of the loch up to Coire Dhondail but without the use of the off road bike maybe does not easily fit into a days work.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby AspiringHiker » Sat May 01, 2021 10:05 pm

Hi gaffr, i was actually hoping you might pinch in as I've seen your Braeriach trip reports here. We are doing multiday backpacking trip in the Aviemore area and I think going from Rotheimurchus up to Loch Eanaich (camp overnight) to Braeriach to Sron na Lairige to Lairig Ghru to Rotheimurchus would be a nice change from the forest sections.

We are reasonably fit with 20k walk without stopping being normal on a weekend, but we haven't done off-trail hiking, only multiple Scottish trails in Loch Lomond area and flatter areas further a field. I want to be sure that the route to the peak and back can be done without walking through any point where a wrong step will send you flying far down. We won't do silly things like walking on snow or go up if forecast is not good; we also have previous experience of weathering a storm on a hill side and know it's not a good idea. We are keen to try, but not looking for risks.

I was thinking the sensible route for us might be following trail that runs next to Beanaidh Bheag and then using the zig-zag trail along Allt Buidheannach. Is that the route you took North of Coire Bogha? The path you mentioned through Coire Dhondail seems too steep and rocky for our purposes. From what I see on the OS map, the gradient directly between the end of zig-zag path and the peak is about the same as that between Coire's Lochain and Ruadh so I'm undecided which is best. Is that correct?
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby gaffr » Sun May 02, 2021 9:02 am

The approach that I used to reach Braeriach was on the open slope just above the Coire Bogha-cloiche...a lot of loose material that I would not use when carrying a loaded rucksack anyway it was a way of reaching the summit and using the coire an Lochain ridge to get back to my bike. I have not used the zig zag path system but could be a useful way up for you carrying kit for an overnight.
I have been by way of the Beanaidh Bheag path that fades after a bit on that occasion to ascend the Lochain ridge to the summit and then down the Ruadh ridge to get back to my bike.
I guess that some trials out on smaller hills carrying the camping kit would be very useful.
Later in the summer a camp at Lochain would be something to think about if going the way of Beanaidh Bheag....gets you away from biting insects when camping and opens up another option in that you could leave the tent pitched ascend by the Lochain ridge and down by way of the Ruadh ridge to get back to your tent.
Of course ideally if all goes well ascend with the kit and get to the the Lairig via the descent from Sron na Lairige.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby AspiringHiker » Sun May 02, 2021 7:32 pm

Ok, we'll give it a cautious try.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby rodderss » Sun May 02, 2021 8:09 pm

I did the walk highlands route last year.

Relatively straight forward.The narrow bit is not that narrow , I have a terrible head for heights and passed it without noticing.If it was narrow I would have crawled.Ha ha

From the summit to loch eanich path is straightforward enough, pathless from the summit for a while then you come to a path that works its way down but the last km is pathless before the eanich track.A bit boggy and overgrown. Wife fell in a hole up to her waist( not amused and as usual my fault) so avoid that if you can.

Reversing the route would be easy enough, just a decent fitness level needed.and half a clue how to navigate
rodderss

Munros:47   Corbetts:15
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:29   
Islands:2

Postby AspiringHiker » Sun May 02, 2021 10:47 pm

Thanks rodderss, if your wife fell up to her waist is what you call "a bit boggy", what's "quite boggy"?
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby NickyRannoch » Sun May 02, 2021 11:41 pm

[*]probably[*] won't last a month but as of today loads of snow on the west side of the Cairngorms.

Worth checking on nearer the time if your experience is of low level trails
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby rodderss » Mon May 03, 2021 7:07 am

She was just very unlucky.its squelchy never above my walking shoes.
rodderss

Munros:47   Corbetts:15
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:29   
Islands:2

Postby AspiringHiker » Tue May 04, 2021 8:34 am

NickyRannoch wrote:[*]probably[*] won't last a month but as of today loads of snow on the west side of the Cairngorms.

Worth checking on nearer the time if your experience is of low level trails

Fingers crossed it will melt, but if not we'll just have to comeback later in the summer.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby gaffr » Tue May 04, 2021 9:38 am

Yes rain and sleet here at 300 Mtrs. No view of the Sgorans this morning...all hidden under the cloud. The new white layer has been coming and going over the past week.
Always a good thing to have plans that can be adjusted.
On top.of all this we have a leaking roof on the North side of the house from stuff being driven in from the North.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby AspiringHiker » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:21 pm

Thanks for all the replies, we ended up getting as far as Beanaidh Bheag, but decided against fording the stream as it was way to cold, wide and fast for our party. There was also a lot of snow visible on northside of Braeriach so we judged it likely there will be some on other part of the mountain as well. Will try again next year later in the season.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby prog99 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:31 pm

Did you attempt this recently?
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby AspiringHiker » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:36 am

prog99 wrote:Did you attempt this recently?

Just over a week ago, first few days of this heatwave. We have spent a week in the area and could see the big reduction in snow cover. I suspect if we tried now, the snow wouldn't be an issue.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion