walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Loch Ossian Camping

Loch Ossian Camping

Postby martin1909 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:14 pm

Hey all.

I'm hoping to climb Carn Dearg & Sgor Gaibhre this summer but would prefer to camp by Loch Ossian or thereabouts than stay at the accommodation at Corrour Station. Has anyone camped up there before and if so what like is the ground? Are there any flat enough and dry enough (weather permitting obviously) patches of land that would be suitable.

Taa
martin1909
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:9

Re: Loch Ossian Camping

Postby Border Reiver » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:51 pm

These two, plus Beinn na Lap are easily done in between morning and evening trains in summer, if you can't camp.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat May 01, 2021 2:17 am

This is where I camped between the YH and Peters Rock.
The grass had to be flattened before hand but very comfortable. It was surprisingly not near any running water but apart from that a fine spot. There was a bit of a commotion on the other side of the loch when the station pub bar shut in the early hours. I think folk were driving back from the station "bar" to the lodge at the east end of Loch Ossian - though my memory is a bit vague. :D

Loch Ossian Camping
P1010534.JPG

Somewhere round about here
Screenshot_20210501-020042_Chrome.jpg

There will be plenty other options but this was a good enough spot not too far from the station meaning we could get rid off the load sooner rather than later.

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat May 01, 2021 2:21 am

Just to add, at the moment coming from the south you might have a problem doing the hills in one day between trains due to covid restrictions and amended timetables. It should still be possible from the north but best to check nearer the time.

It's a fantastic area. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Arthurs Eat » Sat May 01, 2021 5:40 pm

Last time I stayed at the hostel there were a couple of people camping right outside and beyond. Plenty good sites. If staying close to the hostel, always polite to ask the warden first. And leave no trace it goes without saying.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:14   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion