walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Càrn Aosda to Càrn a' Gheòidh

Càrn Aosda to Càrn a' Gheòidh

Postby J4MRU » Sun May 02, 2021 11:45 pm

For anyone who has taken in Càrn a’ Gheòidh whilst doing The Cairnwell Munro’s, how long (roughly) does it take to walk from Càrn Aosda to Càrn a' Gheòidh?

We have plans later in the day and trying to decide whether we have time to squeeze it into our trip. If not, we may just have to settle for Aosda and The Cairnwell.

Thanks,
Jamie.
J4MRU
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:1
Walk wish-list

Re: Càrn Aosda to Càrn a' Gheòidh

Postby simon-b » Mon May 03, 2021 12:03 am

Hi Jamie, Walkhighlands route description reckons it takes 5 to 6 hours for the three Munros from the Cairnwell Pass. From what I remember from when I did it, that time sounds about right. Maybe took me towards the shorter end of the estimate. Just Aosda and Cairnwell would be very quick.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby J4MRU » Mon May 03, 2021 12:23 am

simon-b wrote:Hi Jamie, Walkhighlands route description reckons it takes 5 to 6 hours for the three Munros from the Cairnwell Pass. From what I remember from when I did it, that time sounds about right. Maybe took me towards the shorter end of the estimate. Just Aosda and Cairnwell would be very quick.

Hi, thanks! Yes Aosda and TCW would be quick enough, I think.

Just wondering if anyone knows how long it might take to walk from Aosda to Càrn a’ Gheòidh (the middle part of the route on WH), to see if we have enough time (or if we can push our luck a bit time wise) to do that as well.

Cheers,
Jamie.
J4MRU
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby pww235 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:32 am

I can't help with the timing, was a while back I did them, but if you can at all squeeze it in I would. It was the nicest of the three in my opinion. Cracking views for lunch looking at the non-ski side of the Cairnwell.
pww235

Munros:25   
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby denfinella » Mon May 03, 2021 12:34 am

It's 3 miles and not an enormous amount of ascent. I would guess 1.5 hours for me, and I think I walk at about an average hillwalker's pace!

Looking at the timestamps on my own photos, it took us exactly 3 hours between Carn Aosda and The Cairnwell (visiting Carn a' Gheoidh on the way) - again, that would suggest 1.5 hours for one direction. That particular walk was also with a friend who hadn't really done much hillwalking before.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby J4MRU » Mon May 03, 2021 12:40 am

Thanks all.

I think we should manage, might just have to leave earlier to make sure, I think!
J4MRU
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby KatTai » Mon May 03, 2021 10:55 am

Had a look on my Viewranger for the last time I did this route, it took me around one hour 15 minutes between Aosda and Càrn a' Gheòidh, and an hour and 20 minutes to get from there back down to the car park. I've done this route a few times and my times come in at around 4 hours. I do use one of the ski runs for the descent rather than the track but not sure if that makes much difference time-wise!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby J4MRU » Mon May 03, 2021 11:09 am

I’ve seen quite a few people say that they saved a bit of time walking directly off The Cairnwell, actually.
J4MRU
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Dave Hewitt » Mon May 03, 2021 11:37 am

I've been on these three hills in all sorts of combinations over the years (I'm in the teens of ascents for all of them). If just doing the three from the ski centre, I think the standard (and easiest) thing to do is Cairnwell-Gheoidh-Aosda - in summer there are useful paths for this. As for timings, my most recent round of just the three was in Dec 2016, without any snow, with a friend who was in his mid-60s at the time. We did the whole thing in just over 3hr30, including 35 minutes off here and there (eg a 20-minute lunch stop on Carn a' Gheoidh, which is a lovely hill). The stretch from Gheoidh to Aosda took us just over an hour, including a couple of short stops en route - so just under an hour's actual walking. Obviously different people do such things at different paces and conditions on the hill change all the time. Hope that helps, anyway.

(From the top of Carn Aosda back to the car that day took us 19 minutes and I don't recall any great rush - it's the easiest of all Munros to descend, surely.)
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby J4MRU » Mon May 03, 2021 12:01 pm

Thanks Dave, I didn’t really consider doing them from the Cairnwell first. Did you use the conventional path for that or did you go up the chairlift/ski tow?
J4MRU
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Dave Hewitt » Mon May 03, 2021 1:09 pm

J4MRU wrote:Thanks Dave, I didn’t really consider doing them from the Cairnwell first. Did you use the conventional path for that or did you go up the chairlift/ski tow?

Have done all sorts of things over the years. Once - over 35 years ago - I got up the Cairnwell direct from the top of the road (not the ski centre which is down a bit) in 14 minutes without running - couldn't do that now! On the day in Dec 2016 we started up the main drag behind the ski centre then cut the corner leftwards to meet the ridge a little way below Cairnwell summit - we were on top inside 35 minutes.

Generally I've tended to take in these hills as part of bigger circuits, especially as add-ons at the end of the day when doing things east of the A93 - folk are curiously averse to climbing hills on both sides of a high road on the same day (you see this as well with people not linking Tarmachan with Meall Corranaich etc, even though it's perfectly doable - if the road wasn't there people would do this all the time). The Maol-Leacach-Cairnwell-Aosda round is a good and still fairly short day out. Also, if doing a bigger round E of the road and starting some way below the pass whether N or S, there's a lot to be said for adding in Cairnwell/Aosda or even Gheoidh too at the end rather than just walking along the road and dodging the traffic. In terms of just the easy three, starting from Baddoch is a good option - the N ridge of Aosda is very pleasant, especially in descent, while the Gleann Taitneach approach to Gheoidh etc from the Spittal of Glenshee is also good, although if it's been wet the Allt Aulich side-burn can be awkward.

Lots of options - don't just do the standard stuff!
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby walkingpoles » Mon May 03, 2021 2:17 pm

What Dave says.

I don't remember our time between Aosda and Carn A Gheoidh, but at any moment you can turn back over Cairnwell and double the time past for a rough estimate when to be back at the car park.

We extended the hike to also include An Socach. I found it much prettier, once away from the ski centre.

Enjoy
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby J4MRU » Mon May 03, 2021 2:42 pm

Perfect, thanks all!

Got Schiehallion in July too so, no doubt, I will be back asking questions about that one too.
J4MRU
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Sgurr » Mon May 03, 2021 4:57 pm

If you have time, it is much nicer trip to do it up the Baddoch burn with Carn a Geoidh first, then Cairnwell then Aosda with a lovely descent down the shoulder back to Baddoch. We did it with a US friend and his 10 year old daughter, and the whole thing was about 7 hours. You spend so little time relatively with the ski stuff, that it is easier to overlook.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion