walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

What3words

Re: What3words

Postby davekeiller » Sun May 09, 2021 5:57 pm

Yes, MR teams generally use SARLoc, although I believe there's now a competitor called Phonefind.
Both systems send a text message to the missing person's phone which then interrogates the GPS to ping a message to the team with the phone's location in it to avoid a potentially lengthy search.
It is, of course, preferable to give a grid ref and a description of where you are when making the initial 999 call. The description is really helpful as a sense check of the grid ref (it's easy to transpose numbers or read one incorrectly. If you say I'm on the north face of Ben Nevis and give a grid ref that's miles away, then that's a sure sign you've made a mistake).
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby prog99 » Sun May 09, 2021 7:08 pm

davekeiller wrote:Yes, MR teams generally use SARLoc, although I believe there's now a competitor called Phonefind.
Both systems send a text message to the missing person's phone which then interrogates the GPS to ping a message to the team with the phone's location in it to avoid a potentially lengthy search.

Worth noting that they need internet access enabled to access the website link you get texted.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby overloaded » Fri May 21, 2021 8:52 am

shinenotburn wrote:
gaffr wrote:More generally regarding this Topic. So to get the three words to use this system I looks like? that you have to obtain a Grid Reference to access this way to communicate. The only way to receive the three magic words?
I am right on this, if so, I don't quite see the point of this way to get a position through to the Rescue services?
If becoming immobilised on the hill. With the Ordnance Survey Locate service, one of the benefits of paying an annual subscription, it is possible to obtain six figure reference including the two letters for the 100 Kilometre and can be sent with the Share button with the minimum of battery available and without any typing of digits on the Mobile phone to a user on your Contact List. Never used this system ...maybe someone around here has?
Another way to communicate, never used this way either, is the ICE in case of emergency system to send message regarding a problem to the emergency services. Has anyone used this?

OS Locate is free.

Thank you shinenotburn, I have just downloaded OS Locate :)
overloaded
Walker

Munros:46   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby overloaded » Fri May 21, 2021 9:09 am

simon-b wrote:As for Overloaded's original question, if such a list were compiled, I imagine it would be the first one in which all the Munros had 100% English names. Cultural implications here, perhaps! (Please don't take this comment too seriously.)

Perhaps there should be two what3word lists then, one in English and the other in Celtic :lol:
overloaded
Walker

Postby overloaded » Fri May 21, 2021 9:16 am

Thank you to everyone who has posted on this.
It is extremely good reading and very informative.
overloaded
Walker

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion