walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cairngorm Trip Parking

Cairngorm Trip Parking

Postby Gamebird » Sat May 08, 2021 2:21 pm

Hi there, I've lurked for a few years, but this is my first post.

I'm a refugee from the cancelled/rearranged TGO and putting together a wee Cairngorms trip for early June to compensate. I plan to start with the Lairig Ghru, which was part of my TGO route, and was wondering about parking options around Coylumbridge. I plan to be away from my car for 4-5 days.

My paper OS map shows a parking site near Larig Cottage, just south of Coylumbridge Camp Site, but this doesn't appear on the (I assume more up to date) OS online mapping. I also wondered about parking at just past the cattle grid at NH915091, which connects nicely to the Lairig Ghru footpath. Google satellite view shows a couple of cars parked here.

Or any better options?

Lastly, what's the craic on leaving a note in the windscreen with how long you plan to be parked? I have always done this in the past, but in more remote areas. Is this still a done thing, or is it a bad idea these days for security reasons?
Gamebird
Stravaiging

Re: Cairngorm Trip Parking

Postby davekeiller » Sun May 09, 2021 6:04 pm

One option would be the sugar bowl car park which is further up Glenmore, and is notionally managed by the ski centre. It might now be pay and dismay, but the advantage of that car park is that you used to be able to leave details with the ranger station at the ski centre.
This means no one will call out MR because there's a car there at nightfall, but also there's a system to raise the alarm if you're overdue on your return.

To be honest, a note on the windscreen probably doesn't make much difference either way. Your insurance company may think differently, however.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Stevekerr188 » Sun May 09, 2021 8:24 pm

Hi its a roadside layby nr to Colylumbridge where cars are normally left, its right at the start of the path up to the Cairngorm club footbridge. If worried about leaving it there might be possible to ask the Aviemore YHA or Bridge pub/ bunkhouse if you can leave it there for a few nights. I've done it before at Glenmore in exchange for a few quid in the mountain rescue box.

Would the train be an option for you? its only a couple of miles from Aviemore station up to the starting point at Coylumbridge.
Stevekerr188
Backpacker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+52
Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:214   Islands:16

Postby gaffr » Mon May 10, 2021 7:09 am

Hello...You were asking about parking at the Lairig Ghru cottage....I went by the entrance of the Camping site yesterday where there is a notice saying that use of the track is for the Campsite folks only.
There is a loop of the old road a bit further on that has a path leading directly to the Lairig path junction however you would have to use a ford across the Allt Druidh to continue to the junction. Never used this approach myself although somewhere in the very distant past I think that I reached the road by this path. when coming back out.
There is the Whitewell area on a dead end road where there is a fair amount of off-road parking close to the Memorial cairn for Baird and Barrie. More probably used more often by folks heading into Eanaich but by continueing to The Cairngorm Footbridge and a bit beyond access to the Lairig is fine.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby gaffr » Mon May 10, 2021 2:08 pm

Further to my reply this morning.
I was passing this area this morning and had a look at the area of the direct approach to the Lairig route from the Glenmore road. The wee loop in the old road ...marked on the map as Parking spot...has disappeared under the vegetation.
The path, though obviously not often used, is still usable to reach the river Luineag from the maybe two car parking at the place where there are two large boulders.
The river was in spate at the moment after the rapid snow melt so not an easy crossing under todays conditions.
If I can get a couple of images off my phone I will try to Post them here to illustrate what we found.
Also forget the river Allt Druidh as said earlier .... apologies the river is the Luineag.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon May 10, 2021 6:05 pm

There is parking at Inverdruie next to the tennis courts at NH900110
Scotland
https://maps.app.goo.gl/spKzzUKRfwztqTVJA

It's a few months since I have used it but as far as I know it's still unrestricted, free and long stay.

If you park in Aviemore itself it's only a couple of miles and a fine starting point for the Lairig Ghru. I walked from Linn of Dee to Aviemore railway station a few years back and its a great route.

It's a personal thing but I never bother with a note in the window. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby gaffr » Wed May 12, 2021 9:19 am

My attempt to get an image or two for the direct approach to the Lairig Ghru .
DSC_0821.JPG
Path in from the Glenmore road.
DSC_0818.JPG
River Luineag...reached after maybe 4-500 metres from the road.
DSC_0819.JPG
Not a pleasant crossing after during the snow melt.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby Gamebird » Wed May 12, 2021 1:20 pm

Thanks for all the options, especially for taking the time the post the photos - very helpful.

I think it's going to come down to hedging my bets. If the weather is good I will probably be returning down via the ski centre from the Cairngorm plateau at the end of my trip. In which case having my car at the Sugar Bowl seems like a good idea. If the weather isn't great, I will probably plan a totally different route, and will return up Glen Feshie, in which case having my car at Whitewell will be most convenient. However that adds about an extra 6 miles after descending Cairngorm. I imagine whichever I pick will be the wrong one! But at least now I have options 8) .
Gamebird
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion