walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Strathfarrar four

Strathfarrar four

Postby Outnabout » Sun May 09, 2021 10:55 am

We are staying in Inverness at the end of the month and would like at least one days hiking these seem to be the closest at just over an hour away, what's the deal with the gate that keeps getting mentioned? It looks a very long walk in anyone know how long?

Any other hikes no more than 1.5hours away preferably bagging multiple peaks, doesn't need to be munro's.

Cheers.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Strathfarrar four

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Sun May 09, 2021 12:59 pm

One of the reasons I haven't done these four Munros yet is because of this locked gate / ticketing malarkey. So as I understand it, you need to wait at the gate for the landowner to open it at 9am and give a linited number of people a ticket. 25 I believe. Is this so?

That seems to me to fly in the face of the 2003 Land Reform Act. I wouldn't trust myself not to create a scene if I was stopped by some landowner or their lackey telling me I couldn't go down that particular road.

I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences. Has anyone ever questioned the existing arrangements?
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:181   
Fionas:1   

Postby Coop » Sun May 09, 2021 1:09 pm

Lightfoot2017 wrote:One of the reasons I haven't done these four Munros yet is because of this locked gate / ticketing malarkey. So as I understand it, you need to wait at the gate for the landowner to open it at 9am and give a linited number of people a ticket. 25 I believe. Is this so?

That seems to me to fly in the face of the 2003 Land Reform Act. I wouldn't trust myself not to create a scene if I was stopped by some landowner or their lackey telling me I couldn't go down that particular road.

I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences. Has anyone ever questioned the existing arrangements?

It's not an unlimited amount of people. You can walk or bike anytime for as long as you want down the glen.
It's a limited amount of motor vehicles allowed past the gate.
Had a great day doing these 4. One car at the far end , one at the start.
The wee lady at the gate was pleasant
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby rohan » Sun May 09, 2021 2:26 pm

Lightfoot2017 wrote:One of the reasons I haven't done these four Munros yet is because of this locked gate / ticketing malarkey. So as I understand it, you need to wait at the gate for the landowner to open it at 9am and give a linited number of people a ticket. 25 I believe. Is this so?

The Strathfarrar road is a private road so access by car is actually a bonus as it is not covered by the Land Reform Act.
rohan

Postby al78 » Sun May 09, 2021 2:27 pm

If you don't want to deal with the gate malarkey you can access these munros from Inverchoran to the north. This route does have the disadvantage of needing to cross a low bealach twice, but you do get to see the very remote looking glen Orrin.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby jmarkb » Sun May 09, 2021 3:15 pm

Lots of other options within 1.5 hours drive time of Inverness: Fannaichs, An Teallach, Beinn Dearg group, Torridon, northern Caringorms,....
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Fiona Reid » Sun May 09, 2021 3:51 pm

Never had any issues with the gate etc. Basically play by the rules, read and follow the signs and you'll have no issues.

Details of times etc for the gate are here: https://www.mountaineering.scot/access/special-arrangements/strathfarrar

The gates opens at 9am every day. It closes at different times depending on the month. In May you've 10 hours to do the hills. It's a long plod on tarmac between the start/ end points (6.5km) thus taking bikes or having 2 cars can help.

There's loads of other good walks up to 90 mins from Inverness though.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sun May 09, 2021 5:04 pm

You could do these four from the north. I was down Strathconnon yesterday and it's an hour from Inverness to the end of the glen. Would be a much bigger day, though.

But yes, the gate is a total pain in the a*** if you like to start your walks early.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Outnabout » Sun May 09, 2021 6:03 pm

Would hate to do this and miss the gates at the end of the day, I have no problem roughing it in the car should I have too but can imagine the horror if I had to say to the wife and 2 kids we had too.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby Outnabout » Sun May 09, 2021 6:05 pm

jmarkb wrote:Lots of other options within 1.5 hours drive time of Inverness: Fannaichs, An Teallach, Beinn Dearg group, Torridon, northern Caringorms,....

Wouldve loved to do An Teallach but feel it's it bit much for the kids plus we have a fair lump of a dog with us.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Sun May 09, 2021 6:11 pm

Outnabout wrote:Wouldve loved to do An Teallach but feel it's it bit much for the kids plus we have a fair lump of a dog with us.

The full traverse is a big day out for sure. Going up and down from Dundonell might be worth considering, though.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby Outnabout » Mon May 10, 2021 11:09 am

jmarkb wrote:
Outnabout wrote:Wouldve loved to do An Teallach but feel it's it bit much for the kids plus we have a fair lump of a dog with us.

The full traverse is a big day out for sure. Going up and down from Dundonell might be worth considering, though.

How much of a slog is the fannichs and the beinn deargs, may opt for one of those instead.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby Joey » Mon May 10, 2021 11:27 am

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/kintail/sgurrnanconbhairean.shtml

These would fit the bill. Just over an hour to Lundie car park depending on traffic. 1hr 15min tops. Cracking walk taking in three munros. Did this circuit a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.
Joey
Mountain Walker

Munros:66   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   

Postby jmarkb » Mon May 10, 2021 11:28 am

All 4 of the Beinn Dearg group is quite a long day (but you can do fewer than 4). I would recommend doing either the central or western Fannaichs (https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ullapool/sgurrnanclachgeala.shtml or https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ullapool/sgurrbreac.shtml) - both are a bit shorter than the Strathfarrar round.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby prog99 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:33 am

Depends on what combo of hills you wish to do. Both groups can be split up or aborted quite easily. I'm sure there are plenty of trip reports here showing the options.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion