walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Scrambling route recommendations for this summer?

Scrambling route recommendations for this summer?

Postby MountainDreamer » Sun May 09, 2021 4:04 pm

Hi there. I'm planning to head up to the Highlands this June/July for 3 weeks with just my tent and car to accompany me.
Mountains will be at the forefront of the trip and I have begun to put together a list of routes I'd like to attempt.

Ben Nevis - CMD and Ledge route
Buchaille Etive Mor - Curved Ridge
Aonach Eagach
Liathatch
Sgurr Nan Gillean - South-east ridge ('tourist path')
Sguur Alasdair (+ Hopefully a few other of the Cuillin if weather allows, I've previously climbed Bla Bheinn and am itching to get my hands back on some more gabbro)
Stac Pollaidh

So my question is, what other similar routes would people suggest to add to this list (I'm expecting weather and other events to prevent me from completing all these routes, but It'd be nice to have a long-list to choose from)

For context, I'm looking for fun, 'hands-on-rock' scrambles, but nothing too severe as I will be on my own for most the trip and won't be wishing to venture too much outside of my comfort zone.

Any suggestions would be most welcome, thanks!
MountainDreamer
Munro compleatist

Munros:11   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Re: Scrambling route recommendations for this summer?

Postby simon-b » Sun May 09, 2021 5:45 pm

The Forcan Ridge on The Saddle is a classic, I really enjoyed that one.

Another ridge I found particularly impressive is the north west ridge of A' Maighdean. Easier scrambling when you suss the micro navigation than some of your choices, but very remote. It's a unique, pinnacled ridge in magnificent surroundings with unsurpassed views all around, if you get them.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby simon-b » Sun May 09, 2021 5:59 pm

P.S. sorry for misspelling A' Mhaighdean.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby jmarkb » Sun May 09, 2021 6:23 pm

An Teallach would be the other major classic ridge that's not on your list. The central section of the Cuillin (Banachdich, Ghreadaidh, Mhadaidh) is especially good - nowhere too hard (Grade 3) but very sustained and exposed. Good stuff on some of the other islands, too (Arran, Rum).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby prog99 » Sun May 09, 2021 11:33 pm

Couple more
NE ridge of Sgor an Lochain Uaine.
Horns of Alligin.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby AJ01 » Mon May 10, 2021 9:36 am

The East-West traverse of Suilven is my suggestion, preferably approaching from Ledmore to the SE - a bit longer, but I think the going is easier than the other routes, with a fair bit of stony, heathery ground rather than bog. Richard Gilbert's book Exploring the Far North West of Scotland (Cordee, 1994) has a route description (pp. 93-94), or I could give you more info on request. (You need to know where to go when you arrive at the top of the unexpected 100ft sheer drop. :wink: )

When reading the OP my immediate thought was the Forcan Ridge, but simon-b has got in first. I would endorse this recommendation, and suggest giving it a high priority - it really is a great route. (In passing, I haven't done his other suggestion of the NW ridge of A' Mhaighdean so that's going on my own 'bucket list'.)

If you would like a real expedition when on Skye, there's the Dubh Slabs, graded Moderate *** and described in the Skye Scrambles book as "...arguably the finest outing of its grade in the country." (The abseil can be bypassed.) The biggest difficulty is getting there, as you have to start by Loch Coruisk, and end back by Coruisk or in Glen Brittle. When we did it we had two cars, left one in Glen Brittle and got the boat from Elgol to the head of Loch Skavaig, so your difficulty being on your own would be more the transport than the climb. A guidebook with you is pretty much essential.

Hope these might be of interest.
Angus
AJ01

Munros:221   Corbetts:3

Postby Veryhappybunny » Mon May 10, 2021 10:43 am

If you are on Skye, there is a nice route up and over the Sgumain stone shoot, a traverse round to Sgurr dubh mor, then back under the cliffs below Sgurr Alasdair, and up again to Sgurr Alasdair and back down the Alasdair stone shoot.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby MountainDreamer » Wed May 12, 2021 11:19 am

Thank you all very much for the replies. Fingers crossed for good weather, I'll have a lot of great days out in the hills to choose from!
MountainDreamer
Munro compleatist

Munros:11   Corbetts:3

Postby hull1270 » Thu May 13, 2021 4:39 pm

Veryhappybunny wrote:If you are on Skye, there is a nice route up and over the Sgumain stone shoot, a traverse round to Sgurr dubh mor, then back under the cliffs below Sgurr Alasdair, and up again to Sgurr Alasdair and back down the Alasdair stone shoot.

Hi,
I'm going to Skye for a week at the end of this month and this sounds like a good route. Would you have a GPX file of it that you could share?
Thanks.
hull1270
Munro compleatist

Munros:278   

Postby jmarkb » Thu May 13, 2021 4:47 pm

There have been reports of unstable rock in the Sgumain Stone Shoot - take care!
https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/expedition+alpine/unstable_rock_warning_sgumain_stone_shoot-714811
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion