walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

October?

October?

Postby Mirijana » Tue May 11, 2021 6:57 pm

Dear everyone,
Forgive an ignorant Dane, but ....
May 2020 and may 2021 I have had to cancel my trip to the highlands. I will not have the opportunity to hike this summer - but what do you say to October? Scotland in october? What would you recommend of hiking routes in October - such approx. 15 - 25 km pr. day?
Thanks in advance.
Sincerely
Mirijana
Mirijana
Hill Bagger

Re: October?

Postby jmarkb » Tue May 11, 2021 7:09 pm

October is quite a good time to visit the Highlands - not many people around, lovely autumn colours, few if any midges. Of course the weather can be bad (but that's true all year round!) and it can be cold enough for some snow on the highest hills and overnight frost in the valleys. Other things to be aware of is that it is the main deer stalking (= hunting) season (until the 21st) and there are some restrictions on access, though the majority of popular walks are not affected. The daylight hours are also getting short by the end of October - means long nights if you are camping.

I'm guessing from your previous posts that you are looking for a long distance through hike rather than day hikes in the mountains - but whatever you had in mind for May is likely to still be OK in October.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby simon-b » Tue May 11, 2021 7:57 pm

jmarkb wrote:The daylight hours are also getting short by the end of October - means long nights if you are camping.

But if staying in a hotel or guesthouse, you get an extra hour of daylight between breakfast time and sunset, until the last Sunday in October. Scotland currently is on British Summer Time until then (Greenwich Mean Time + 1 hour). I found this very useful for long walks when I was at a hotel in October 2015. This could possibly change if Scotland rejoins the EU.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby rohan » Tue May 11, 2021 8:08 pm

This is useful for who to contact regarding stalking information. It is for 2020 so make sure you have the up to date contacts nearer the time. https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/practical-guide-all/heading-scottish-hills
In my experience contacting the relevant estate ahead goes a long way in getting to do what you aim to do. Not all estates provide a contact number and sometimes you have to do a bit more digging, sometimes neighbouring estates will help with contact numbers. Stalking estates are a mixed bag from extremely helpful to very hostile to walkers.
rohan

Postby Coop » Tue May 11, 2021 8:20 pm

Hiead up the very far north and get on the Corbett's, shorter days on them and some of the best views in Scotland
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby simon-b » Tue May 11, 2021 8:27 pm

rohan wrote:This is useful for who to contact regarding stalking information. It is for 2020 so make sure you have the up to date contacts nearer the time. https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/practical-guide-all/heading-scottish-hills
In my experience contacting the relevant estate ahead goes a long way in getting to do what you aim to do. Not all estates provide a contact number and sometimes you have to do a bit more digging, sometimes neighbouring estates will help with contact numbers. Stalking estates are a mixed bag from extremely helpful to very hostile to walkers.

The estates I've contacted have always been helpful. But I've heard stories about other estates as rohan describes. If you stick to the main routes and ridges, there isn't usually a problem anyway, as jmarkb says about the popular walks.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby davekeiller » Tue May 11, 2021 9:30 pm

If you walk at 3k per hour, 25k per day takes about 8 hours.
Equinox is the end of September, so in early October you've got 11+ hours of daylight.
By the end of October it's probably closer to 9, so a a torch will likely be needed.

Weather will be variable, but usually snow doesn't arrive until well into November.

One thing to note is that some accommodation providers close over the winter, so check ahead when making plans.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby al78 » Wed May 12, 2021 9:46 am

I'd suggest early October if possible, more daylight, bear in mind October to March is the wettest half of the year.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Phil the Hill » Wed May 12, 2021 1:13 pm

I've been going up to Scotland at the end of May / beginning of June every year for over 30 years now. I've visited at a few other times of year, particularly mid-February for winter conditions, but had never visited in Autumn before. Last year I had to cancel my May trip, for obvious reasons, so went up at the end of October instead. I chose Glen Tilt, as the next Munros on my list were there, and it was a revelation. The autumn colours were stunning! Stalking had finished on my routes, the weather was OK and there were no midges. By setting off before sunrise I managed two long days from Blair Atholl (my fitness after lockdown being the issue rather than daylight hours). I'd therefore highly recommend an October visit, especially if you choose somewhere with a few deciduous trees. Weather can maybe be a problem but I've had snow and fierce storms in May!
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed May 12, 2021 4:52 pm

October is a great time in the highlands; the forest and moorland turn a wonderful mixture of colours, the biting insects die away, and the heat and humidity of summer is replaced by a cool and bracing autumnal atmosphere which is invigorating and invites you to hike through the hills and glens. The red deer are in the rut, the big mating/territorial display of the red deers' year. You can hear them roaring and bellowing across the hillsides. Rivers often have salmon leaping majestically up waterfalls and sites such as castles, standing stones, impressive views, etc. are much less busy than in high summer. Some businesses may close, such as cafes and restaurants but there will be plenty open until the end of October. Loch Ness, Loch Tay, Loch Rannoch and Loch Lomond all have big areas of forest which is magnificent in autumn colours, and Glen Lyon is fantastic from start to finish.

DSCF0173#pr.jpg
Glen Lyon

Glen Sligachan September 2009.jpg
Glen Sligachan autumn, Isle of Skye

Autumnal pics 001#a.jpg
Falls near Drumnadrochit, by Loch Ness

Autumnal pics 004.jpg
Glen Nevis near Fort William
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Mirijana » Wed May 12, 2021 5:27 pm

jmarkb wrote:October is quite a good time to visit the Highlands - not many people around, lovely autumn colours, few if any midges. Of course the weather can be bad (but that's true all year round!) and it can be cold enough for some snow on the highest hills and overnight frost in the valleys. Other things to be aware of is that it is the main deer stalking (= hunting) season (until the 21st) and there are some restrictions on access, though the majority of popular walks are not affected. The daylight hours are also getting short by the end of October - means long nights if you are camping.

I'm guessing from your previous posts that you are looking for a long distance through hike rather than day hikes in the mountains - but whatever you had in mind for May is likely to still be OK in October.

Thank you, for the very kind answer. :D
Mirijana
Hill Bagger

Postby Mirijana » Wed May 12, 2021 5:28 pm

simon-b wrote:
jmarkb wrote:The daylight hours are also getting short by the end of October - means long nights if you are camping.

But if staying in a hotel or guesthouse, you get an extra hour of daylight between breakfast time and sunset, until the last Sunday in October. Scotland currently is on British Summer Time until then (Greenwich Mean Time + 1 hour). I found this very useful for long walks when I was at a hotel in October 2015. This could possibly change if Scotland rejoins the EU.

VERY good to remember. Thank you. :D
Mirijana
Hill Bagger

Postby Mirijana » Wed May 12, 2021 5:39 pm

OMG.

There is light ahead. How happy I am for all your good advice and recommendations. The last many months, have been so sad. Again and again I have made inner walks in the beautiful highlands. Remembered views, moorland, exotic Scottish place names, munros and streams.
NOW there are plans for the fall. Thank you all very much.

Kind regards
Mirijana
Mirijana
Hill Bagger

Postby josbrands » Wed May 12, 2021 9:16 pm

Same here, had to cancel twice now.
News plans for the end of august, early september .. . wildcamping this time :D
josbrands
Walker

Postby walkingpoles » Fri May 14, 2021 2:04 pm

Due to the daylight hours, the mileage is reduced (walking in darkness is only possible if you have a dedicated path), and the nights will be long, cold and possibly boring. I'd make sure to have a plan B with hostel accomodation at most a days walk away in case the weather insists to be sour. Getting soaked is more fun, when there is a chimney fire in the evening. You'll love the highlands in autumn.

Enjoy
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion