walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Offloader knee brace?

Offloader knee brace?

Postby ChrisButch » Thu May 13, 2021 8:33 am

I've recently developed the first signs of arthritis in one knee. My physio has recommended an 'offloader' knee brace - different from the ordinary knee braces widely available, as it's designed to transfer the load away from the joint. Has anybody had experience of using one of these for rough hillwalking? They look like medieval instruments of torture, and it's hard to see that they won't impede agility in other respects, whatever their benefit to the knee joint. I'd be grateful for any advice.
ChrisButch

Re: Offloader knee brace?

Postby Moder-dye » Thu May 13, 2021 11:27 am

I've not used one, but did look in to them and got close to getting one while waiting for my knee replacement.

I guess it depends on the exact model and proper fitting, but they are supposed to be pretty good. I've read of triathlon athletes using them to keep on running, so they must be at least bearable in use.

IIRC the prices are pretty astronomical for a decent one, so if you can persuade your GP/Consultant you may be able to get one through the NHS and then it will be fitted to you properly.

I had no success with any regular knee supports, wraps and straps. They were just too uncomfortable and didn't help me.
Moder-dye
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion