walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Toe Nail Trouble

Toe Nail Trouble

Postby Jim777 » Fri May 14, 2021 7:52 pm

Hi all, I’ve been desperately needing to have my large toe nail removed for some time - had a heavy weight dropped on it many years ago. The nail is now about three times as thick as normal and partly ingrown. As it is I’ve soldiered on but doing shorter walks. Can anyone give me advice on the recovery time if I decide to have it removed and how long before I can get the walking boots back on. Cheers for any info.
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Re: Toe Nail Trouble

Postby Glengavel » Fri May 14, 2021 9:32 pm

About a week, maybe two from what I recall about mine.
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby davekeiller » Sat May 15, 2021 10:43 am

Depends what you mean by recovery time.
It probably takes about a year to grow a complete new big toenail. However, recovering to the point where you can go walking again is likely to be much quicker than this, and Glengavel's estimate of about a week probably isn't too wide of the mark.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Gordie12 » Sat May 15, 2021 8:41 pm

I've lost big toe nails twice on long distance trails and on each occasion it was a relief when the nail finally detached itself as there was instant pain relief so it shouldn't take you too long to get the boots back on.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sun May 16, 2021 6:48 am

If you get the nail beds removed at the same time it will save a lot of pain in the future, as nails would never be right.

However, nail bed removal is quite sensitive and l estimate 3 weeks to full recovery. Maybe a week to get stitches out then 2 more getting comfortable walking again.

Looks awful but zero pain. Not an issue since the op.

20210516_085027.jpg
2 big toe nails and beds removed 40 years ago
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon May 17, 2021 5:04 pm

ScotFinn65 wrote:If you get the nail beds removed at the same time it will save a lot of pain in the future, as nails would never be right.

Didn't the nazis do that as an 'orrible torture? :shock: If the nail is discoloured, yellowish and / or flakey then it could be a fungal nail infection, which is treatable with an ointment from your local pharmacy. Try filing the nail down to reduce the thickness and strength.
Or you could try amputation - just below the knee reduces the likelihood of the nail ever growing back. :D And if you could save the lumps for soup, that would be great...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby CharlesT » Mon May 17, 2021 6:47 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
ScotFinn65 wrote:If you get the nail beds removed at the same time it will save a lot of pain in the future, as nails would never be right.

Didn't the nazis do that as an 'orrible torture? :shock: If the nail is discoloured, yellowish and / or flakey then it could be a fungal nail infection, which is treatable with an ointment from your local pharmacy. Try filing the nail down to reduce the thickness and strength.
Or you could try amputation - just below the knee reduces the likelihood of the nail ever growing back. :D And if you could save the lumps for soup, that would be great...

But if you restrict yourself to just amputating the offending toe you could pickle it in salt and "hey presto" the accompaniment for your very own "Sourtoe Cocktail '.😁
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Glengavel » Tue May 18, 2021 8:02 am

I had a big toe nail removed twice and each time it grew back it started ingrowing again so had the nail bed removed. Did take longer to heal but the worst thing was having to wear sandals (and socks) for a couple of weeks (it was winter).
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion