walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ladhar Bheinn from Barrisdale - question

Ladhar Bheinn from Barrisdale - question

Postby al78 » Sat May 15, 2021 7:36 pm

I'm planning to climb Ladhar Bheinn in about two and a half weeks time and am considering ascent routes. I came across this walk report which is along the lines of the route I was planning to do from the campsite.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8425

This route starts by following the path towards Mam Barrisdale, branching off up Stob na Muicraidh eventually gaining the SE ridge leading to the summit. It is possible/feasible instead to head towards Coire Dhorrcail and climb the ridge of Creag Bheithe which brings you to Stob a Chearcail via a shorter route. If the ground underfoot is not hideous or very technical this looks like a quicker route, and since I am heading to the Kinloch Hourn B&B straight after, I am somewhat time limited as I plan to have an evening meal there around 7pm.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Re: Ladhar Bheinn from Barrisdale - question

Postby jmarkb » Sat May 15, 2021 8:23 pm

Going direct up the NE nose of Stob a' Chearcaill https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/972295 is a grassy Grade 1 scramble, probably best avoided if at all wet underfoot. It's possible to go up the ridge to the foot of the scramble and then traverse off left to meet the route described in the TR which you linked to. Either way, it is not likely to be any shorter/quicker than starting up the Mam Barrisdale path - the distances are pretty much the same.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby gaffr » Sat May 15, 2021 8:55 pm

My only visit to Ladhar Bheinn was from the Bothy at the farm. Path up into the Coire then up the ridge to Stob a'Coire Odhair...then the summit and out to the trig point. The rim of the big Coire to return with some quite greasy rock on descent to reach my starting point. The other two Munros were from Mam Barrisdale in a nice wee horseshoe.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby SummitViews » Sun May 16, 2021 1:03 am

al78 wrote:I'm planning to climb Ladhar Bheinn in about two and a half weeks time and am considering ascent routes. I came across this walk report which is along the lines of the route I was planning to do from the campsite.

This route starts by following the path towards Mam Barrisdale, branching off up Stob na Muicraidh eventually gaining the SE ridge leading to the summit. It is possible/feasible instead to head towards Coire Dhorrcail and climb the ridge of Creag Bheithe which brings you to Stob a Chearcail via a shorter route. If the ground underfoot is not hideous or very technical this looks like a quicker route, and since I am heading to the Kinloch Hourn B&B straight after, I am somewhat time limited as I plan to have an evening meal there around 7pm.

Climbed the other 2 Munros just yesterday

From what I saw I would head to Mam Barrisdale and then do the walk in a clockwise manner
3 hrs from Kinloch hourn to Mam bealach
SummitViews
Mountaineer

Munros:31   

Postby al78 » Sun May 16, 2021 1:32 pm

SummitViews wrote:
al78 wrote:I'm planning to climb Ladhar Bheinn in about two and a half weeks time and am considering ascent routes. I came across this walk report which is along the lines of the route I was planning to do from the campsite.

Climbed the other 2 Munros just yesterday

From what I saw I would head to Mam Barrisdale and then do the walk in a clockwise manner
3 hrs from Kinloch hourn to Mam bealach

I'm starting from Barrisdale which saves about five miles compared to Kinloch Hourn, so hopefully it won't take much longer than an hour and a half to get to the Mam Barrisdale bealach.

Since I am walking from Sourlies to Barrisdale the day before, it looks worth it to camp on Mam Barrisdale instead of descending to the campsite only to have to regain the ascent the next day. The OS map shows what looks like a flattish spot just to the north west of the bealach.
al78
Walker

Postby jmarkb » Sun May 16, 2021 1:53 pm

al78 wrote:Since I am walking from Sourlies to Barrisdale the day before, it looks worth it to camp on Mam Barrisdale instead of descending to the campsite only to have to regain the ascent the next day. The OS map shows what looks like a flattish spot just to the north west of the bealach.

I guess it depends on where you are headed next - if you camp on the Mam, then you'll have an uphill section at the end of the day, unless you just do the out and back to Ladhar Bheinn. The terrain is Knoydart is often very rough - not really safe to assume that a lack of contours implies flat enough ground for camping!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby SummitViews » Sun May 16, 2021 3:49 pm

Mam Barrisdale is the perfect place to camp , room enough for a few tents
The 450m ascent from Barrisdale Bay is steady but gentle
1 hr max from the bay to the bealach
SummitViews
Mountaineer

Munros:31   

Postby al78 » Sun May 16, 2021 3:56 pm

jmarkb wrote:
al78 wrote:Since I am walking from Sourlies to Barrisdale the day before, it looks worth it to camp on Mam Barrisdale instead of descending to the campsite only to have to regain the ascent the next day. The OS map shows what looks like a flattish spot just to the north west of the bealach.

I guess it depends on where you are headed next - if you camp on the Mam, then you'll have an uphill section at the end of the day, unless you just do the out and back to Ladhar Bheinn. The terrain is Knoydart is often very rough - not really safe to assume that a lack of contours implies flat enough ground for camping!

My plan is from near Sourlies to head over Meall Buidhe and Luinne Bheinn, originally was going to head down to the campsite at Barrisdale, then next day do a clockwise loop up and down Ladhar Bheinn, pick up my camping gear, then walk to Kinloch Hourn, staying at the B&B for a couple of nights. In other words, I am crossing Knoydart, not staying in any place for more than one night, so no backtracking. Ultimate destination is Shiel Bridge where I have another night in a B&B and I should be able to get there in a full day from Kinloch Hourn (especially with the scheduled rest day). If I could camp high on Mam Barrisdale, I would do the loop up and over Ladhar Bheinn, around Coire Dhorrcail to Barrisdale, then on to Kinloch Hourn. This saves 450m of ascent with the compromise of having to carry all my kit up the hill.
al78
Walker

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sun May 16, 2021 8:15 pm

At Mam Barrisdale it can get rather wet and boggy, i went slightly higher on Luinne Bheinn for drier ground at the time, another thing to factor in is the wind, if it is funnelling up from Inverie.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion