walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

West highland way with kids.

West highland way with kids.

Postby Outnabout » Mon May 17, 2021 8:42 am

Looking to do this in the first week of the Glasgow fair. Would be me the wife 2 kids, teenage girl (not keen) 10 year old boy (keen just now) and very large Labrador.

We are capable hikers, certainly not experts tho. I would like to make this as enjoyable as possible for them so I'm thinking 7 days, Will be using the bag carrying service so they can just enjoy the walk. Will be camping 3-4 nights and looking to stay in accomadation the other nights.

Few questions.

Is there plenty places to camp with showering? Also get hot meals when there?

Accomadation needs to allow dogs if possible.

What kind of bags do the drop off service accept?

What's the best footwear leather boots or something such as trail shoes?

Is it possible to do it on a budget of upto £700 including food?

Thanks.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Re: West highland way with kids.

Postby davekeiller » Mon May 17, 2021 12:52 pm

Here's the website https://www.westhighlandway.org/

Campsites generally have showers. Some will have somewhere on site to get food, others are close enough to villages with pubs that you can easily get hot food.
Budget of £700 inc. food is do-able, but it depends on what choices you make. It works out at £100/night. If you get a pub meal and drink every night, that's probably going to work out at around £15/head, which for a family of 4 is £60 leaving only £40 for accommodation and your other two meals. If, on the other hand, you take dehydrated food or buy ingredients in a local shop and cook your own meals some nights that's going to leave money in the budget.
Similarly, B&B's will be more expensive than bunkhouses or hostels.

Footwear is a perennial discussion. The route is mostly well-made paths, so you should be OK in trail shoes, although some people prefer boots.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Outnabout » Mon May 17, 2021 5:48 pm

Here's what we have so far nothing is booked so anything can be changed . Any suggestions for Tyndrum area and a cheaper alternative to the Drovers?
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-05-17-17-44-54-622_com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.mail.jpg
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby davekeiller » Mon May 17, 2021 6:15 pm

There's a campsite near the Drovers. I think it's called Beinglas farm. Those are basically your only options.

I had a look at one of the baggage transfer companies and they're talking £45 per bag, or £90 for 2xadult (20kg) bags plus 2 x child (10kg) bags.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Outnabout » Mon May 17, 2021 8:00 pm

davekeiller wrote:There's a campsite near the Drovers. I think it's called Beinglas farm. Those are basically your only options.

I had a look at one of the baggage transfer companies and they're talking £45 per bag, or £90 for 2xadult (20kg) bags plus 2 x child (10kg) bags.

The camping would be ideal to avoid paying over £200 for the drovers, just struggling to find a dog friendly place in the second day between drymen and roweradenan, not many vacancies left unfortunately.

Yeah we have the baggage transfer at £90 for 2 adults and 2 kids.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby DopeyLoser » Mon May 17, 2021 8:54 pm

Just a thought that you could spend two nights at Tyndrum, i.e. get bus from Inverarnan to Tyndrum at end of day 3 then bus back on morning of day 4 then walk to Tyndrum. Maybe not ideal but could help to keep your dog and shower-holic family happy. Crianlarich could also be an option for you.
DopeyLoser

Postby Scottk » Mon May 17, 2021 10:53 pm

I’m sure the baggage transfer companies have an option to drive you back to Milngavie for an extra sum. I’m thinking you could get a good deal this year if there are less tourists doing it.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Outnabout » Tue May 18, 2021 3:51 pm

So we are all booked drymen camping, sallochy campsite, beinglas campsite (pod), treker hut, Glencoe micro lodge and then blackwater hostel, coming in at £465 with baggage.

Just need to refine our kit now.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby Scottk » Wed May 19, 2021 12:05 am

Beinglas campsite was nice when I was there a few years ago. The huts looked pretty good. Glencoe mountain resort-i have camped there twice and next time I am tempted to try the Kinghouse hostel. Midgies were terrible. Make sure you have headsets and smidge.
I have camped at Blackwater hostel, they also have pods. Very handy for the ice factor cafe! The pub has a decent restaurant in town and the fish and chip shop is good too.
Kit should be pretty straightforward with only day sacks. I took a water filter for filtering at lower levels but there are plenty places to fill your bottle.
Blister plasters, pain killers, smidge and head net, water proofs, snacks/lunch, sun cream, camera, toilet bag (just in case) and hat. Warm hat, extra layer and gloves for certain parts. Stove if you fancy a soup or hot drink during the day. Emergency blanket.
I’m sure you will all enjoy it. Watch out for ticks (take tick removal tweezers).
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Outnabout » Thu May 20, 2021 10:32 am

Scottk wrote:Beinglas campsite was nice when I was there a few years ago. The huts looked pretty good. Glencoe mountain resort-i have camped there twice and next time I am tempted to try the Kinghouse hostel. Midgies were terrible. Make sure you have headsets and smidge.
I have camped at Blackwater hostel, they also have pods. Very handy for the ice factor cafe! The pub has a decent restaurant in town and the fish and chip shop is good too.
Kit should be pretty straightforward with only day sacks. I took a water filter for filtering at lower levels but there are plenty places to fill your bottle.
Blister plasters, pain killers, smidge and head net, water proofs, snacks/lunch, sun cream, camera, toilet bag (just in case) and hat. Warm hat, extra layer and gloves for certain parts. Stove if you fancy a soup or hot drink during the day. Emergency blanket.
I’m sure you will all enjoy it. Watch out for ticks (take tick removal tweezers).

Excellent, thanks very much for that we are looking forward to it bar our teenage daughter, sure she will come round after the first day.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion