walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

long term parking in the highlands

Re: long term parking in the highlands

Postby al78 » Tue May 18, 2021 5:03 pm

DopeyLoser wrote:The bus also has a short stop in Tyndrum, just across the road from The Green Welly, which has camping supplies e.g. gas. But the timetable only has the stop at five minutes so it's probably not a great option for you.

I think there is a local bus between GLA and Paisley, though taxi would not cost a lot either. You are probably already familiar with https://www.travelinescotland.com for journey planning.

I have wondered if there could be anything like an Amazon pickup location in Fort William so that items could be delivered there, then picked up during evening hours.

Getting gas in Fort Wiliam would have been the perfect option, unfortunately the bus gets there 15 minutes after some of the gear shops close.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby al78 » Tue May 18, 2021 7:04 pm

Some good news, after an enquiry to Citylink, I am allowed to board the 15:00 bus at the airport instead of Buchanan bus station, which saves me time and energy.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby DopeyLoser » Wed May 19, 2021 12:35 am

Yep bus from GLA should help.

For your return from Shiel Bridge, keep in mind the bus stops for about 40 min in Ft William, and there is a Morrisons supermarket adjacent to the bus stop. They have a restaurant that does tasty filling meals fairly quick. Get that down you and you will not be hungry for a while. Of course they sell sandwiches, salads etc to go as well.

For your trip from Glasgow, it's your trip obviously but I wondered why it would take 11hr to go by bus to London, then I saw your bus is going via Edinburgh: a nice city but it would not be my choice to drive to Edinburgh to get to London.

I have taken the overnight megabus Glasgow to London, more than once, and I have found it surprisingly quiet and comfortable. You get to Victoria bus station about 7am. An 8hr 20min journey. They used to have a great sleeper coach with bunk beds but they no longer do that. Even the reclining seats are fine, but that is just my opinion. I would do an F.U. to the Travelodge, jump off the bus from Ft William, onto the megabus to London and be home on Sunday morning.

Anyhow, enjoy. I agree it takes dedication to do it without a car.
DopeyLoser

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed May 19, 2021 8:40 am

If you're parking near houses in a quiet area, either chap on someone's door and advise your car will be there for a couple of days or leave a sign in the window saying "No Assistance Required". That doesn't give away how long you'll be away for and hopefully means your car won't be targeted by thieves.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion