walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Quick question

Quick question

Postby Low Level Walker » Mon May 17, 2021 10:53 pm

Now that Glasgow has been placed in tighter (tier 3) restrictions again, does this mean that if you live in a tier 2 area and were travelling to another tier 2 area, but were reliant on public transport that went through Glasgow, or involved a change of train in Glasgow you can no longer do so?

Hope someone can give me a definitive answer on here, as currently at odds with a friend over this 🤔
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:3

Re: Quick question

Postby Scottk » Mon May 17, 2021 11:18 pm

The guidance specifically states that you can travel through a level 3 area when going from a level 2 area to another level 2 area. It also says that you should take particular care if using public transport. The excerpt from the guidance is copied below.

Permitted reasons for travel in Level 3 (Glasgow City and Moray)
The regulations permit travel to or from a Level 3 area if you have a reasonable excuse. They also let you travel through a Level 3 area to somewhere else. In doing so you should take additional care, especially if travelling by public transport (see section below) and minimise contact with others.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Low Level Walker » Mon May 17, 2021 11:25 pm

Scottk wrote:The guidance specifically states that you can travel through a level 3 area when going from a level 2 area to another level 2 area. It also says that you should take particular care if using public transport. The excerpt from the guidance is copied below.

Permitted reasons for travel in Level 3 (Glasgow City and Moray)
The regulations permit travel to or from a Level 3 area if you have a reasonable excuse. They also let you travel through a Level 3 area to somewhere else. In doing so you should take additional care, especially if travelling by public transport (see section below) and minimise contact with others.

Thank you Scott, after extensive trawling through www.govscot.co website I see that now.

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately my friend doesn’t read up fully on these things and he has a holier than thou, sanctimonious attitude.

I shall sleep easier tonight 😀
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue May 18, 2021 12:30 am

Yes I agree fine to travel through Glasgow.

The rules are making even less sense now and not following the data. There are places in Scotland in worse shape than Moray but they don't wish to put them in level 3 like Moray. Also folk can now travel from covid hotspots in England with more cases than Glasgow and Moray and go practically anywhere in Scotland.

I know many folk in Moray who work in the highlands and are no longer following what they see as unfair guidelines with no scientific back up. :?
Sunset tripper

Postby Low Level Walker » Tue May 18, 2021 7:44 am

Sunset tripper wrote:Yes I agree fine to travel through Glasgow.

The rules are making even less sense now and not following the data. There are places in Scotland in worse shape than Moray but they don't wish to put them in level 3 like Moray. Also folk can now travel from covid hotspots in England with more cases than Glasgow and Moray and go practically anywhere in Scotland.

I know many folk in Moray who work in the highlands and are no longer following what they see as unfair guidelines with no scientific back up. :?

Thank you Sunset Tripper. Yes I agree with you. My friend however is still adamant, that this cannot be done without a “reasonable excuse”.

I have specifically referred him to the wording on Scottish guidance “They also let you travel through a Level 3 area to somewhere else.”

Again he believes it is only with a valid reason or excuse.

I would be interested to hear anyone else’s points of view here.
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Postby gman » Tue May 18, 2021 9:39 am

This is the law as of 17 May

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2020/344/schedule/4/2021-05-17

Restrictions on entering Level 3 area
14.—(1) A person who does not live in a Level 3 area must not enter or remain in that area.

[F43(2) But a person who does not live in a Level 3 area may travel through it in order to reach a place outwith the area.]

I see the 5 mile exercise restriction is back for Level 3 areas.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby davekeiller » Tue May 18, 2021 6:05 pm

I'm pretty sure the consensus is right.
You are allowed to travel from any level 2 area to any other level 2 area, even if it requires you to pass through a level 3 area.
If travelling by public transport, it must therefore be legal to break your journey for connection purposes (e.g. changing trains or buses).
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Low Level Walker » Tue May 18, 2021 8:50 pm

davekeiller wrote:I'm pretty sure the consensus is right.
You are allowed to travel from any level 2 area to any other level 2 area, even if it requires you to pass through a level 3 area.
If travelling by public transport, it must therefore be legal to break your journey for connection purposes (e.g. changing trains or buses).
gman wrote:This is the law as of 17 May

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2020/344/schedule/4/2021-05-17

Restrictions on entering Level 3 area
14.—(1) A person who does not live in a Level 3 area must not enter or remain in that area.

[F43(2) But a person who does not live in a Level 3 area may travel through it in order to reach a place outwith the area.]

I see the 5 mile exercise restriction is back for Level 3 areas.

Thanks all for the replies. I believe it to be the case also that it is allowable, my friend however is the argumentative type, who doesn’t still accept this and is having me damned and condemned.

Thanks again all.
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Postby jupe1407 » Tue May 18, 2021 11:53 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Yes I agree fine to travel through Glasgow.

I agree with this. There are 4 people in ICU with Covid across the entire country as of today. I was on board with previous lockdowns and restrictions because whilst vaccines were in development, they were the right thing to do (mostly). However all the vulnerable groups have been vaccinated and many areas are now getting into the 20-30 year old age groups. I'm not in a Level 3 area thankfully but if i was, I'd be absolutely seething at the moment and probably ignoring the travel restrictions.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby al78 » Wed May 19, 2021 12:31 am

It seems to be ultra-caution is being applied because of this Indian variant, and how effective the vaccines will be against it. In one way I can understand caution, it was at least partly lack of caution at the beginning that ultimately elevated us to a global leader of the highest death rate.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby gman » Wed May 19, 2021 9:36 am

Probably worth checking how close your area is to 50 cases per 100k, some hillwalkers might want to make the most of this weekend.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion