walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Tips around Tyndrum?

Tips around Tyndrum?

Postby biffer » Tue May 18, 2021 4:14 pm

I've got a few days up in Tyndrum next week, weather looks decent at this stage so will do a bit of walking.

Not going to pretend I'm massively fit, but I did Ben Cleuch last Sunday going up via the Law (although that needed a few rests on the way!) and back via Ben Ever in 4-5 hours at an easy pace.

Was looking at Ben Challum, and also Meall nan Tarmachan on the way there (although I'll probably just go up and down to avoid the scramble down the ridge, not that comfortable scrambling).

Any other suggestions?
biffer
Ambler

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:4

Re: Tips around Tyndrum?

Postby jmarkb » Tue May 18, 2021 4:47 pm

So much choice, but if you are looking for shortish days...

Ben Challum is straightforward (though I prefer to make a circuit by going up the track from Auchtertyre and climbing the NW ridge).

The Tarmachan ridge is very worthwhile: the short (but unpleasant) scramble is entirely avoidable, though this is not obvious going anti-clockwise - if you reach the top of the tricky part, go back uphill for 20-30m and look for a faint path heading off on the N side. Going clockwise, the bypass path is obvious, heading up left as you approach the rocky section.

There are several options on the Lawers range: Ghlas - Lawers - Corranaich is a nice combination, and you can opt out of the last hill if you have had enough.

You could just do one of Dorain and Dothaidh if you don't fancy both: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/argyll/beinn-dorain.shtml

Beinn Odhar on its own is a reasonable option for a short day, as is Meall Odhar just to the south of Tyndrum.

Stob a'Choire Odhair (with Stob Gabhar) is also a reasonably short day with decent paths.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby DopeyLoser » Tue May 18, 2021 5:04 pm

Just a suggestion to keep in mind you have Tyndrum Upper railway station at hand which can take you north e.g. to Bridge of Orchy. Beinns Dorain and Dothaidh can be climbed from there and are easyish climbs with potentially great views.

Then there is Tyndrum Lower station which could take you to Loch Awe and Cruachan. Also you can go east to Crianlarich or even Ardlui for Ben Vorlich.

Buses too, so Tyndrum is a good base for the area.
DopeyLoser

Postby biffer » Tue May 18, 2021 5:12 pm

jmarkb wrote:So much choice, but if you are looking for shortish days...

Ben Challum is straightforward (though I prefer to make a circuit by going up the track from Auchtertyre and climbing the NW ridge).

The Tarmachan ridge is very worthwhile: the short (but unpleasant) scramble is entirely avoidable, though this is not obvious going anti-clockwise - if you reach the top of the tricky part, go back uphill for 20-30m and look for a faint path heading off on the N side. Going clockwise, the bypass path is obvious, heading up left as you approach the rocky section.

There are several options on the Lawers range: Ghlas - Lawers - Corranaich is a nice combination, and you can opt out of the last hill if you have had enough.

You could just do one of Dorain and Dothaidh if you don't fancy both: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/argyll/beinn-dorain.shtml

Beinn Odhar on its own is a reasonable option for a short day, as is Meall Odhar just to the south of Tyndrum.

Stob a'Choire Odhair (with Stob Gabhar) is also a reasonably short day with decent paths.

Thanks!

I'll have a look at those as well, much appreciated.
biffer
Ambler

Postby biffer » Tue May 18, 2021 5:12 pm

DopeyLoser wrote:Just a suggestion to keep in mind you have Tyndrum Upper railway station at hand which can take you north e.g. to Bridge of Orchy. Beinns Dorain and Dothaidh can be climbed from there and are easyish climbs with potentially great views.

Then there is Tyndrum Lower station which could take you to Loch Awe and Cruachan. Also you can go east to Crianlarich or even Ardlui for Ben Vorlich.

Buses too, so Tyndrum is a good base for the area.

That's great, cheers. I'll actually have the car with me so can easily get to a few other places as well!
biffer
Ambler

Postby jmarkb » Tue May 18, 2021 5:21 pm

biffer wrote:
Thanks!

I'll have a look at those as well, much appreciated.

No problem!

I meant to write Stob a'Choire Odhair (without Stob Gabhar), though :roll:
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby abbruce » Wed May 19, 2021 11:06 am

Take the train from Tyndrum Upper to Corrour. A leisurely walk up Beinn na Lap or round Loch Ossian followed by coffee & cake in the wonderful station cafe whilst you wait for the train back to Tyndrum.

Beinn Fhionnlaidh from Glen Creran is a great hill with superb views also.
abbruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Sgurr » Wed May 19, 2021 11:29 am

The round of the 5 Corbetts(Auch FIve) is a demanding day. It took us 14 hours as a 70 th birthday treat, but 9 is normal and you can bail out after 1, 2 or 3
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion