walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Blair parking

Blair parking

Postby weedavie » Wed May 19, 2021 10:23 am

I'm looking to guide a few horsepeople up Gleinn Stanaidh and down past the bothy to Glen Banvie, from Blair Atholl. I did a bike reconnaissance for this last week, and the route itself was fine. I also dumped the bike and nicked up Beinn Dearg, my first high top since August! This was all great, no unnegotiable gates or cattle grids. However the whole thing seemed bollixed by the wee Victorian bridge a few hundred metres before the car park. This won't allow the horse box or trailers access!

Does anyone know of other legitimate parking in Blair for three vehicles - probably from 9 till 3 on a weekday. One thing I wondered about was the derelict area to the right of the junction where you turn off the main road to go up to Old Bridge of Tilt. I tried getting paid parking in the caravan site but that wasn't on. Any suggestions would be welcome.

On the gripe level, I'd gone up to Blair by train. There are now no trains back from Blair between 2 and 8. So I'd to cycle back to Pitlochry for 4.20. I feel resentful about this and even more resentful that Killiecrankie's in the way, on top of a knackering hill. What's that about then?
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Re: Blair parking

Postby nigheandonn » Wed May 19, 2021 10:42 am

The train timetable from both Blair Atholl and Dalwhinnie has always been baffling and is now worse, but I don't think you can blame Scotrail for the hill at Killiecrankie! :lol:
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby al78 » Wed May 19, 2021 11:14 am

If you nipped up Beinn Dearg the hill at Killiecrankie should be a pimple by comparison, especially on a bike with multiple gears. The hill exists because the pass narrows at that point so the roads have to go part way up the side of the pass.

One thing I have learnt when using public transport in the highlands is that transport between very small sleepy places is very sporadic and infrequent. It will be optimised for transporting people between the larger towns and cities, and the small villages will be an add-on. Thus if relying on public transport, you have to plan your itinery around the bus and train times.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby jmarkb » Wed May 19, 2021 12:03 pm

jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby al78 » Wed May 19, 2021 12:15 pm

Is that one of those "No Overnight Parking" signs that has no legal authority and can be safely ignored?
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby jmarkb » Wed May 19, 2021 12:36 pm

al78 wrote:Is that one of those "No Overnight Parking" signs that has no legal authority and can be safely ignored?

Possibly, but I don't think weedavie is looking for overnight parking.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed May 19, 2021 12:49 pm

At Killiecrankie rather than cycle uphill there is a rough riverside path which leads to Pitlochry.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby LobeyD » Wed May 19, 2021 12:55 pm

When I have been up there with the bike I've parked in what looks like public parking (no obvious eff off signage) next to the cafe just across the bridge from the BoT turnoff. The middle bays are double back to back so I think you would get a car and trailer in, although you'd want to get there early and you might not make too many friends :wink:. Might be OK on a weekday. Wasn't full last year on a July Monday just after we were allowed out again.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby weedavie » Wed May 19, 2021 2:02 pm

Thanks, that's terrific, that first one looks great. I felt there was a place like that, but I must have pedalled past it too quickly in the morning - my train deadline was much on my mind! The second one feels like it's for pub and station custom.

Incidentally anyone heading up Glen Tilt this month can expect heavy traffic. There's a lot of work being done up by Forest Lodge. Last week I ran into a convoy, including an artic, making heavy weather of the road up by Gilbert's Bridge.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby prog99 » Wed May 19, 2021 2:03 pm

There must be somewhere convenient as Blair atholl hosts an international horse trials each year.
I’d contact the estate as they may sort something out.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby weedavie » Wed May 19, 2021 3:05 pm

prog99 wrote:There must be somewhere convenient as Blair atholl hosts an international horse trials each year.
I’d contact the estate as they may sort something out.

The estate's been really helpful in advice but it's not up to them to offer parking. The horse trials are huge, but they're a commercial activity. You do get a lot of cooperation from farmers and landowners. I was doing support (on my bike, I don't have truck with quadrupeds) for an endurance horse ride in the Cheviots at the weekend. There had been amazing help in setting up a challenging 30k circuit.
Parking in Blair's an extra kilometre each way on a quiet road so it should be fine.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion