walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Apprehension

Re: Apprehension

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue May 25, 2021 4:27 pm

al78 wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:That looks a great route but tough also, especially with a full pack. Lightening the load as much as possible will help.
There are lots of options for you to make the walk easier if you need to, so it looks like a fine plan.

I was in that area a couple of weeks ago. I had a look inside Corryhully Bothy and it looked as normal with no locks or notices on the door. I'm not sure what the legal position or estate rules are during covid but it is not MBA so their rules don't apply.

The plan is to start early and take my time on the ascents. I have a tendency to power up hills at the beginning then run out of steam and have to keep taking breaks to catch my breath. Slow and steady wins the race I think with munro ascents.

It had crossed my mind to sleep in the bothy if it was unlocked and empty, but on further consideration, think I should follow the spirit of the COVID rules whatever the estate rules are and sleep in my tent. I have just had the jab but you don't know who else has been in a bothy and their hygiene habits, so it's best not to risk inadvertently picking up the virus and carry it through remote populations in the highlands.

Aye, fair enough, I would be happier in the tent myself, let us know how you get on. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby prog99 » Sun May 30, 2021 8:37 am

Hopefully you’ll get this. We were up the 4 Munro’s you have planned for tomorrow yesterday and water is very hard to get between Sgurr Mor and Sgurr na Ciche.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Csm8 » Sun May 30, 2021 10:04 am

The weather forecast looks really good for your trip, think you timed that just right! You’ve plenty options for making some days easier if you’re not feeling up to some ascents. Have a great trip :)
Csm8
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:42
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:13

Postby al78 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:13 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I'm back home now and needless to say I had grossly underestimated how hard my original planned route would be* (there is a reason the Cape Wrath trail takes the line of least gravitational resistance). I turned around near the summit of Sgurr nan Coireachan as I was getting more and more fatigued, the last climb up to the summit dome looked very intimidating, there is a three mile ridge with no water and another slog up to the second munro, and it was blazing sunshine with no shade. Went back to Fort William and had a rethink. It wasn't a total loss though, and I'll put up a walk report sometime this week.

*The heart was willing but the body said no.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion