walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

River levels - Allt Cam (Ben Alder)

River levels - Allt Cam (Ben Alder)

Postby mjstephens2001 » Thu May 27, 2021 2:34 pm

Hi,

We're considering climbing Aonach Beag and Beinn Eibhinn from the north (A86 at Luiblea) at the weekend. This involves a river crossing of the Allt Cam (twice!).
Does anyone have any recent experience of river levels in this area? I know there's been a lot of rainfall in the east and WH has posted a rivers in spate warning but I don't think it's been as wet in the west? :shock: Should we be considering a route without river crossings altogether?!

Cheers
mjstephens2001
Mountain Walker

Munros:240   Corbetts:64
Grahams:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:33   Islands:31

Re: River levels - Allt Cam (Ben Alder)

Postby jmarkb » Thu May 27, 2021 3:03 pm

It will mostly depend on the amount of rain in the area between now and your trip - keep an eye on the forecast and rain radar tomorrow. Burns/rivers like that tend to return to normal levels within 24-48 hours of it stopping raining.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:241   Corbetts:99
Grahams:81   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:46   

Postby 1Magnus » Thu May 27, 2021 3:34 pm

I'll be doing Beinn Eibhinn from the north on Sunday as well. I'm less worried about that stream - even if you do end up with wet feet, on a day when it's forecast to be 19 degrees, that shouldn't be so bad. (I'm hoping for a quick dip in the Lochan na h'earba after the walk! :D
1Magnus
Mountain Walker

Munros:134   

Postby 1Magnus » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:46 am

IMG_4076.JPG
In case this is helpful to anyone, here a photo of the bit where I ended up crossing the Allt Cam two days ago (30 May). Wasn't a problem really - on the way up I found some stepping stones (in the photo); on the way back I just walked through the stream at the point where I reached it. (Boots still drying out in the kitchen now!) What a glorious day it was.
1Magnus
Mountain Walker

Munros:134   

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion