walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

2 Day Hike Accessible by Public Transport

2 Day Hike Accessible by Public Transport

Postby jsmith891995 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:01 pm

Hi,

Looking to do some practice for the WHW, so I have been looking at doing a 2 day hike (with a night of camping) with each day around 15 miles of walking.

Only issue is I do not drive, so it would need to be accessible by public transport (from Glasgow) at the start and end, with preferably no walking the same route both days.

Any advice etc would be greatly appreciated, at the minute it is looking like it will be the Great Trossachs Path but any reccomendations would be great!

Thanks in advance!
jsmith891995
Walker

Re: 2 Day Hike Accessible by Public Transport

Postby dishdashdott » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:01 pm

You could look at trains from Queen Street to Rannoch, Corrour or Tulloch - plenty of hills around that area that you could easily do an overnight camp on.
dishdashdott
Mountain Walker

Munros:63   Corbetts:10

Postby LobeyD » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:49 pm

Taynuilt to Bridge of Orchy up Loch Etive and then along Glen Kinglass to Vicky Bridge would be a decent low level walk with bus and train at both ends. Decent paths all the way, although there is a mile or two of the WHW at BoH. Haven't got a distance but can't be too far off 30 miles.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Low Level Walker » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:53 pm

Hi there. What I have done previously, is the West Island Way on Isle of Bute, but slightly tweaked route.

After alighting from ferry walk straight out Rothesay by castle, then do south half of route. Do this as far as Glencallum Bay and wild camp there.

Following morning complete southern loop (by St Blanes Chapel) and back to Kilchattan Bay. Then bus back to Rothesay then do northern section of walk.

They are not quite both 15 mile days, maybe more (approx) 13 and 17, but easily accessible from Glasgow.
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:3

Postby jsmith891995 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:14 pm

dishdashdott wrote:You could look at trains from Queen Street to Rannoch, Corrour or Tulloch - plenty of hills around that area that you could easily do an overnight camp on.

Hi, thanks for the advice will look into it!
jsmith891995
Walker

Postby jsmith891995 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:15 pm

LobeyD wrote:Taynuilt to Bridge of Orchy up Loch Etive and then along Glen Kinglass to Vicky Bridge would be a decent low level walk with bus and train at both ends. Decent paths all the way, although there is a mile or two of the WHW at BoH. Haven't got a distance but can't be too far off 30 miles.

That sounds absolutely ideal, appreciate the reply
jsmith891995
Walker

Postby jsmith891995 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:16 pm

Low Level Walker wrote:Hi there. What I have done previously, is the West Island Way on Isle of Bute, but slightly tweaked route.

After alighting from ferry walk straight out Rothesay by castle, then do south half of route. Do this as far as Glencallum Bay and wild camp there.

Following morning complete southern loop (by St Blanes Chapel) and back to Kilchattan Bay. Then bus back to Rothesay then do northern section of walk.

They are not quite both 15 mile days, maybe more (approx) 13 and 17, but easily accessible from Glasgow.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yeah we did the West Island Way last weekend on the traditional route but turned it into 2 days instead. Kilchattan bay is outstanding!
jsmith891995
Walker

Postby rgf101 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:18 pm

That Glen Kinglass walk is great, but I think there was something on here recently about a lot of hydro work going on? I could be wrong, or it could be finished.

To be honest, everything I'm thinking of would be *tougher* than the WHW, which brings its use for training into question. If you're contemplating two 15 mile walks back to back, you're probably ready.
rgf101

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:24 pm

Train from Glasgow then ferry to Brodick, Isle of Arran, walk up Glen Rosa, go over Beinn Nuis and Beinn Tarsuinn, camp at bealach of Cir Mhor. Next day Caisteal Abhail, down and over Beinn Breac and over Meall Mor to Lochranza and bus to Brodick for ferry. Not exactly low level but still good training.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby davekeiller » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:16 pm

Any number of options on the West highland railway line.
Close(ish) to Glasgow would be the Three Lochs way, which has train access at Balloch, Helensburgh, Garelochhead, Arrochar and Ardlui.
Alternatively, train to Corrour or Rannoch and walk to either Fort William or Dalwhinnie
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby gld73 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:29 pm

Bit further north than other suggestions, but the South Loch Ness Trail (Inverness to Fort Augustus or vice versa) took me 2 days and has public transport at both ends.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=91882&p=405824#p405824
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby Gythral » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:36 pm

May be a push to get to the start, but it is possible
the Cannich to Morvich part of the Glen Affric way

Inverness - Cannich
Glen Shiel ( Jacobite) to Inverness or Fort William
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Old Stag » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:36 pm

I did Great Trossachs path last week West to East with a wild camp by Loch Katrine. You could adjust your route to finish in Aberfoyle rather than Callander and that would cut out the need to return home via Stirling,
Be aware if you do the Trossachs path that Stronaclachar cafe and toilets are shut for a refurb right now.
Old Stag

Postby old danensian » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:58 pm

Train to Dalwhinnie, then head south west through the Bealach Dubh between Ben Alder and Geal Charn, to Corrour - long easy gradients, and if you're too early for the train back to Glasgow you can dash up Beinn na Lap or Leum Uilleim.

It's been one of my day-dream trips stored up for the months ahead - maybe even taking in The Fara at the start with a spectacular view down the rest of your route - but I'm not that fit yet.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:39 am

3 lochs way is about 32 miles, bus to inveruglas and do it in reverse back to balloch over 2 days.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion