walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Beinn Dearg and Beinn Breac questions

Beinn Dearg and Beinn Breac questions

Postby Jon and Jen » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:16 pm

I saw these are often done together, planning on going over Beinn Dearg then camping and doing Beinn Breac the next day. Just wondering if there is a path between these two? Nothing showing on my landranger or explorer maps. Also, is the area between them suitable for a camp spot anywhere? Thanks in advance for any knowledge.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Beinn Dearg and Beinn Breac questions

Postby prog99 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:21 pm

There’s not much of anything in between them really. It’s real mamba land.
I’ve never linked the two but dare say there will be somewhere down at the flat ground between them you could camp.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:24 pm

There was no path when I did them - doubt there is now!

Your best bet for a campsite would be next to the headwaters of the Tarf, e.g. https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2490558
Otherwise, as prog99 says, the terrain in that glen is pretty rough! For a bit of variety, a return over Beinn Mheadhonach is a good option.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:32 am

I did that route just over 10 years ago. Between the hills is pathless heathery ground but not super rough or boggy. We went back out over Beinn Dearg for some reason. :roll:
There is a fine camp spot at the burn between the 2 hills.

Though Beinn Bhreac is a remote spot, I doubt I will ever be there again. Not sure why I went there in the first place to be honest. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby gaffr » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:58 am

Well, it is a Munro at head height when you stand on the summit. :lol:
I cycled in from Calvine many years back...bike left at .399 ..crossed the Bruar ...over Dearg and onto Beinn Bhreac..returned over Dearg. Pleasant quiet day out without seeing another human. Probably the only time that I will be out there. All part of the Scottish hill experience. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby prog99 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:27 am

Although not a desperately exciting ascent or hill I had a real feeling of space on Beinn Bhreac. Big skies and all that I guess.
We cycled to the bothy, walked round to the lodge(path not great/missing) and then the obvious path from the lodge. Reversed the route but in retrospect going over Beinn Dearg would have been just as fast. In between 1st and last trains from Edinburgh with enough time for beers at the hotel.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Jon and Jen » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:04 am

Thanks guys, my original plan was to go up Càrn a' Chlamain but after hearing the star wars traffic was bad I decided to change last minute to avoid. Good to hear there are decent camping spots in the area, hopefully I won't gather too many ticks in the heathery walk. I seem to collect them where others don't.
Really just wanting to bag a few hills not too far from civilisation to test my fitness after lockdown and to try out my new lighter tent and sleeping mat. Also a new stove. Best to stay in an area I know and not too far from Blair Atholl should I need to bail.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Postby jmarkb » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:02 am

We did a Dearg - Bhreac - Mheadhonach circuit from the Glen Tilt car park. It's quite long, but 90% of it is very easy walking, and I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:39 am

No path, you just have to keep the highest line possible to avoid the worst of the peat hags. We cycled in and left the bikes at Bruar Lodge, which isn't as much use if you want to do Beinn Dearg first.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby weedavie » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:19 pm

jmarkb wrote:We did a Dearg - Bhreac - Mheadhonach circuit from the Glen Tilt car park. It's quite long, but 90% of it is very easy walking, and I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting!

I've never done all three but I've done Dearg with Bhreac and Dearg with Mheadhonach. I'd be tempted by Bhreac - Dearg - Mheadhonach, using the path up the Allt Beinn Losgarnaich to Bhreac and retracing a kilometre from Dearg to go round by Elrig 'ic an Toisich. Easy walking as jmarkb says, except for a couple of kilometres before Beinn Bhreac. That as I recall was intricate bog hopping. Going down Beinn Mheadhonach saves a lot of track walking and has a neat little bridge over the Allt Mhairc (not marked on the 1:50,000 but called New Bridge on the 1:25,000 though it looks Victorian.)
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby Jon and Jen » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:38 pm

Ended up doing the Dearg - Bhreac - Mheadhonach with a camp at the burn between Dearg and Bhreac as I did not arrive until late in the day. A great walk in glorious sunshine. Shame I took the factor 50 but with only one squirt left in it. I am like a lobster. :crazy: Thanks for all the advice. There was a lot of bog hopping and heather bashing but that's usual for me anyway.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion