walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Camping Three Sisters

Camping Three Sisters

Postby Mikeyroach91 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:46 pm

Hi,

Looking for some advice on whether camping just off of the 3 Sisters car park would be ok? I suffered a hamstring tear at rugby training last week and it has ruined all my walking/camping plans for next couple of months but i still want to take advantage of the good weather and enjoy the countryside. Was planning on being about 500m max from the road as that’s as far as i think i can shuffle without hurting myself more. Would just be on my own and not setting a fire so don't think I'd cause any disturbance but just want to check.

Thanks in advance
Mikey
Mikeyroach91
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Camping Three Sisters

Postby davekeiller » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:22 pm

I take it you're proposing to drive up in the evening, camp overnight and then disappear again early in the morning.
If you're being responsible and not disturbing anyone, then I don't see why it would be a problem.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Jon and Jen » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:28 pm

Don't see any issue with it either.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby davekeiller » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:35 pm

I'm not aware of there having been any problems in that area recently, and you're far enough from Glasgow that it will probably be fine during the week.
Personally, I'd prefer to be further from the A82 or else use one of the campsites which would give me access to showers and toilets, but each to their own.
davekeiller

Postby Mikeyroach91 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:10 pm

Yeah planning on going there Saturday evening and leaving Sunday morning. Just want to get out and chill at the base of the mountain since i cant climb it just now. I know it’s not ideal to be so close to the road but i’ll take what i can get.
Thanks
Mikeyroach91
Mountain Walker

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:31 am

There's being close to a road and being close to the busiest road in the west Highlands.

It's up to you and I can't imagine any objections but there's a hundred better places even for a car camp.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby al78 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:19 am

NickyRannoch wrote:There's being close to a road and being close to the busiest road in the west Highlands.

I didn't know it was the busiest in the west Highlands, but it doesn't surprise me. Travelling from Glasgow to Fort William on the bus, there was heavy congestion a bit north of Dumbarton and it was slow going along loch Lomond. Coming the other way, there was heavy congestion over Rannoch Moor. I've never experienced a traffic jam in an unpopulated area before. The highlands seems to have gotten much busier over the last 30 years.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Mikeyroach91 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:24 am

NickyRannoch wrote:There's being close to a road and being close to the busiest road in the west Highlands.

It's up to you and I can't imagine any objections but there's a hundred better places even for a car camp.

Any other recommendations that are a couple hours drive from Falkirk?
Mikeyroach91
Mountain Walker

Postby davekeiller » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:41 pm

I'd have thought that somewhere in Glen Etive would be preferable.
Probably some spots near Pitlochry or Blair Atholl
davekeiller

Postby Mikeyroach91 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:35 pm

davekeiller wrote:I'd have thought that somewhere in Glen Etive would be preferable.
Probably some spots near Pitlochry or Blair Atholl

Glen Etive is a good shout actually. I'd thought of parking at the Glencoe Valley viewpoint and walking between Buachaille Etive Mor and Buachaille Etive Beag as well as the path is pretty flat and i should be able to get further away from the road without any difficulties with my leg
Mikeyroach91
Mountain Walker

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:02 am

Mikeyroach91 wrote:I'd thought of parking at the Glencoe Valley viewpoint

The WHERE ? That's as bad as the ridiculous Glencoe Mountain Resort foisted on us by uncaring [expletive deleted]. :shock:

DSCF1571#cpR.jpg
This one?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion