walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Midges mid June Scotland this year

Re: Midges mid June Scotland this year

Postby Mouse1903 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:02 pm

I've used all the repellents including Smidge and to be blunt they are all crap :lol:
Mouse1903
Munro compleatist

Munros:112   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby prog99 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:06 pm

I’ve used vitamin b patches before as an experiment and it was pretty interesting. They still swarmed but never bit me but others who didn’t use them were used as target practice.
I really should buy some more and have another go.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby bar72 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:42 am

teaspoon a day of Apple Cider Vinegar, taken in a glass of water, 3 days before you head off reduces them quite a bit on me. Acidity levels must be higher in my sweat, keeping them away from me ;
bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:71   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Postby Low Level Walker » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:14 am

This is an interesting thread. Would be interesting to see if someone came up with a definitive solution :lol: :lol:

On that note, did anyone see the program on BBC Scotland Saturday night (name escapes me) about them?

Certainly an interesting program, but after it both the wife and I were feeling all itchy, scratchy and clawy. Jeez, even seeing them for that length of time creates that in me :shock:
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:3

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:49 am

Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby matt_outandabout » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:20 pm

Another few thoughts:

- Do you all have a sprig of crushed Bog Myrtle - this is a natural midge repellant.

- if midges are such a pain, how come they don't get mentioned in historic writing? Old Rabbie Burns moaned about everything and anything, but doesn't mention midges. Does this mean that something has changed environmentally to make them worse than they have been before? Are our diets different? etc...
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Postby 1Magnus » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:51 pm

- if midges are such a pain, how come they don't get mentioned in historic writing? Old Rabbie Burns moaned about everything and anything, but doesn't mention midges. Does this mean that something has changed environmentally to make them worse than they have been before? Are our diets different? etc...

Areas which are easy for us to travel to these days were barely populated in earlier times, for the reasons discussed on this forum thread. The few people who were condemned to living in those dire areas were usually not the ones privileged enough to leave a historical record. Also, the people who had to live in these areas may not really ever have left them, and they may well have thought that it's normal to have midges and keds crawling all over you. (I work on medieval literature).
1Magnus
Mountain Walker

Munros:150   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion