walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Midges mid June Scotland this year

Re: Midges mid June Scotland this year

Postby Left-Moment » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:09 pm

Mal Grey wrote:
Left-Moment wrote:
Thanks, that is what I feared. I appreciate all the advice about staying high, in windy areas and away from fresh water but sometimes it just seems quite hard to make those conditions and I guess this is where the anxiety and avoidance comes from. I will have to have a look at planning around this but it sounds like certain places i.e. the Trossachs should be avoided.

You could do worse than include places like Sands Campsite at Gairloch in your plans. Even if the midges get you on the camp, they're rarely going to be on the beach itself, and its a wondrous spot for a barbecue.
Some of the Arisaig area campsites would be similar, though the area is busier now.

Unfortunately, its a rare week not to get any midges at this time of year, but last week we had 5 nights sitting around with almost none (all on various loch shores inland of Gairloch/Poolewe), then 1 night horrendous (wild camp location left little choice of pitch except sheltered near woods!) and 2 nights OK but needed Smidge (Sands campsite).
Enjoy the trip, don't let the midges put you off completely. But take Smidge or other repellent, and midge nets. We reckoned straws would have helped drink wine through whilst wearing nets!

Thanks for the tip, will look at that later this evening as it sounds delightful.

Right midge head nets and spray ordered, gloves packed and a fierce determination to not let them win instilled! Thanks again.
Left-Moment
Walker

Postby Left-Moment » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:10 pm

Marty_JG wrote:Smidge repellent stops you getting bitten (as much).

Head mesh & long clothing & gloves.

I found clouds of incense (the proper Indian stuff) kept them away when I was making dinner. Plus it smells great.

Thanks that sounds like a plan. Long time since I have bought incense so this is just the excuse! another thing to order!
Left-Moment
Walker

Postby Left-Moment » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:11 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Last Sunday in the woods around Kinlochleven they were pretty vicious, but once out on the hillside - not a single midge. It was a bit too windy for them in the open perhaps.

The worst place for them is supposedly Rannoch Mor, but I had bad close encounters with the wee beasts in many places: Glen Feshie, Strathcarron, Kinlochewe, the summit of Bynack More... :roll: It's hit and miss, depending on weather really. It looks like the midge season is now well under way so just come prepared for the fight with the black army :D

Yeah I guess it was a pretty open ended question and one without an easy answer. Will just have to kit up and suck it up should the worst happen!
Left-Moment
Walker

Postby al78 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:23 pm

Having just come back from Knoydart I can say the little buggers are out early this year, and I got plenty of bites. They seem to be mostly a problem in sheltered glens. I didn't have issues when on the move or at altitude.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Tringa » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:22 am

[quote=

Yeah I guess it was a pretty open ended question and one without an easy answer. Will just have to kit up and suck it up should the worst happen![/quote]

It is the only way to deal with them. Midge repellents based on DEET as, I think probably the best, but I find them unpleasant(sting my eyes, numb the lips and they melt some plastics). I find Smidge to be just about as good as DEET products but without the nasty side effects.

Just hope for a gentle breeze to keep them at bay.

Midges are the norm for the Highlands in summer and even though it is almost impossible to describe just how bad they can be, they are a price worth paying.

Dave
Tringa

Postby EBowman » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:46 pm

I am from the US, where biting flies and mosquitos literally kill livestock. I thought people were engaging in crass hyperbole about Scottish midges until I had the misfortune of walking into a cloud of those infernal bloodsuckers. In any case, Smidge, which is nearly as good as DEET IMO but with fewer drawbacks, has a web site that predicts midge levels at various places in Scotland: https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/. In my experience it is fairly accurate, but as everybody has noted local conditions are the key..
EBowman
Mountaineer

Postby logfish111 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:18 pm

Just came back from a trip to the Highlands. Midges were horrendous in any place where there was no breeze. Then especially horrendous when any other amplifying factors (drizzle, trees, water etc) were present.
logfish111
Munro compleatist

Munros:57   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:174
Wainwrights:214   

Postby matt_outandabout » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:21 am

Normal for this time of year then.....
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Postby HelenI90 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:44 pm

Just back from 10 days in the Cairngorms and only had a bad midge morning once! Wind and sunshine kept them at bay, we got lucky this time :D
HelenI90
Mountain Walker

Munros:72   

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:46 pm

Midges we’re horrific on Saturday at the head of Loch Mullardoch
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby LobeyD » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:58 pm

"Hey Lobey, you remember the last 'Good Midge Year'?".

"Don't be daft, I'm only 48".

:wink:

Like Nessy, purely a myth we sell to tourists. Buy a head net, some Smidge, pray for a breeze....and don't, whatever you do, stop moving.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby logfish111 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:47 am

matt_outandabout wrote:Normal for this time of year then.....

I don't know really. I have been a number of times in June and not had it this bad before. But it could just be luck. :D
logfish111
Munro compleatist

Munros:57   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:174
Wainwrights:214   

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:15 pm

Black flies as bad as I've ever seen at Glen Doll yesterday in the trees. Tiso missing a trick not stocking flamethrowers
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby matt_outandabout » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:26 pm

logfish111 wrote: But it could just be luck. :D

Oh, they lull you into a false sense of security before they pounce.

I would also point out that it is only the female midge who bites, when in the mood for breeding.

Just saying. :shock: :lol:

Edit: https://www.smidgeup.com/midges/midge-facts/why-do-midges-bite/
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Postby AspiringHiker » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:07 pm

I use the long lasting insect repellent in the fabric along with headnet. Multiple brands have a version though I think they all use the same company for actual treatment. If you buy an outfit, the effect would be much reduced after two-three years despite what manufacturers usually say. If you spray/soak things yourself it would probably last for summer. It won't stop all the flying things, but seems to help a lot. There will be some variability depending on species which are trying to lunch on you. There is added benefit of reducing tick bites. However, I know some people feel very strongly about permethrin.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion