walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Advice on Ben Macdui / Beinn Mheadhoin route

Advice on Ben Macdui / Beinn Mheadhoin route

Postby scottcummings » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:57 am

Hi all, I'm just planning a route to take in Ben Macdui & Beinn Mheadhoin from the Aviemore ski centre. I've done Ben Macdui a few times but not ventured over towards Beinn Mheadhoin & Loch Avon. See the attached photo of the route we were planning. My main concern is which way to tackle it. The Coire Raibert down to Loch Avon looks steep so is it best to come down it or go up it? Does this sound like the best route to take in both? Any advice or recommendations appreciated.

Many thanks, Scott
Attachments
routeplan.png
scottcummings
Mountaineer

Munros:117   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Advice on Ben Macdui / Beinn Mheadhoin route

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:11 am

There is a (somewhat eroded) path down to the loch from Coire Raibert. The burn crossing at the head of the loch can be tricky if there is a lot of snowmelt, but we should be past the worst of this by now. I think my preference would be Mheadhoin first, so as not to have a lot of re-ascent at the end of the day.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby LobeyD » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:42 am

I'd agree with jmarkb on clockwise. I've had more problems on the path out of the other side of Loch Avon which is steep and on one occasion after a dry spell was very loose in places and better ascended. Raibert is a bit fiddly here and there, but not to the point that either way is a problem.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby prog99 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:10 pm

Coire Raibert path was getting maintenance done on it so may or may not be improved now (it’s been a few years since I visited)
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby scottcummings » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:12 pm

Great - thanks for the comments jmarkb and lobeyd
scottcummings
Mountaineer

Munros:117   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby HelenI90 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:48 pm

Might be too late to add value but I did that route last year, it was good fun although heavy on the ascent/descent. Loch Avon is beautiful. I went round Ben Macdui first, so came up out of the Loch Avon on the steep path next to the burn. Felt a bit like scrambling up a waterfall at times but not too tricky. Met a couple coming down who weren't having the best time (but managing). Enjoy your hike!
HelenI90
Mountain Walker

Munros:72   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion