walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Beinn a' Ghlò high camp?

Beinn a' Ghlò high camp?

Postby Jon and Jen » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:35 pm

Hi guys.
Heading back up to Blair Atholl tomorrow to Beinn a' Ghlò but will not get there until around noon. Just wondering if there are opportunities to make a camp along the route over the three Munros?
Many thanks
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Beinn a' Ghlò high camp?

Postby weaselmaster » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:45 pm

it's quite a quick circuit. I remember starting it off around 5pm and camping on the way out. there will be spots to camp on the bealach between Bhraigh Coire Cruinn Bhalagain and Airgiod Bheinn which should probably be dry enough at the moment. You Ould also high camp off the back of Bhraigh CCB if the wind isn't too strong.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:14 pm

10+ hours of daylight should be ample to do the full round - you can pitch a tent at the car park by Loch Moraig. But if you really want a high camp, then as weaselmaster says, the col between BCCB and CnG is probably your best best, with a nearby water supply, and you can do CnG without a big sack.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:36 pm

Yeah, loads of high camping pitches, not much in the way of water sources though.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Giant Stoneater » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:02 pm

A good route is by Glen Tilt which you can access an old stalkers path(very faint lower down) for Carn na Gabhar which i found a place to camp, next day you then proceed over the other two back to Blair Atholl.
Start NN9563 7627 cross bridge over River Tilt then cross bridge over Allt Feannach just by the trees and there is a stalkers path which is hard to make out, but further up the path is more visible which leads to Meall a Mhuirich then onto Carn na Gabhar or you can go in the opposite direction up Luib Mhor by a old stalkers path also.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Jon and Jen » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:35 pm

Thanks guys. looks like my first high camp is a go. I'm looking forward to it. Hoping to add Càrn a' Chlamain too while I'm over there. Here's hoping the weather is as promised.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Postby Jon and Jen » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:24 pm

Well, the high camp did not happen. The weathermen definitely got it wrong for the weekend. Blowing a gale and driving rain on Friday and Sunday. Saturday was lovely but I was otherwise engaged. Still, got the hills bagged and a nice walk to bynack burn and back, (long story) sunburned and sated though. I'll get a high camp yet. Thanks for all the tips though guys, they all looked viable on a better day.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion