walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glen Coe with a 6 year old

Glen Coe with a 6 year old

Postby Cherry Tree » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:11 pm

Hello everyone, I have a 6-year-old daughter and a man. We will visit the Highlands for the first time in early August. Fascinated with the walk reports, I joined the group this evening.

Can a 6-year-old walk Lost valley (Coire Gabhail) and Pap of Glencoe walk with enough food & water? I am happy to support her mentally & physically as I believe these walks would be majestic accomplishments in our lives.

I'd also appreciate if you could give some hints on what level of clothing, hiking equipment and snacking I should pack in August for a 10-day hiking experience in Skye, Glencoe (Pap being the toughest in our case), and Loch Lomond.

Thanks so much and all the best
Cherry Tree
Walker

Re: Glen Coe with a 6 year old

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:41 am

Cherry Tree wrote:Can a 6-year-old walk Lost valley (Coire Gabhail) and Pap of Glencoe walk with enough food & water?

The trouble would be at the start; crossing the ravine means climbing down some steep steps, crossing a steel bridge with scary metal grids under foot, then climbing up a very steep eroded bank which has a steel cable attached to anchors to haul yourself up on. This may be too much for a small kid - one slip and a fatal fall into the ravine; this happened just a few years ago. Once up the steep slope from there, the hidden glen opens out before you and it is a remarkable place, worth visiting. But it may be beyond a child of that age.
She could probably run rings around you on the way up the Pap of Glen Coe, as it is a simple route with no obvious hazards apart from the path being like a ditch with loose rocks in it. Given decent weather she will drag you up it. Fantastic views from the top. There is no shade on the way up or at the top. If the sun is blazing, go for a nice walk in the shadey woods by the Glen Coe Lochan instead. Look out for red squirrels.
As for levels of clothing, it might be blowing a gale, lashing down with rain, or hot and sunny. Welcome to Scotland :D
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:16 am

There are definitely hazards to be aware of on the Lost Valley - some steep drops into the ravine (not only next to the bridge) and a short section of easy scrambling - but stamina-wise no problem for an active 6-year old. The Pap is a lot more strenuous, but if you take it steadily and make it fun, it should also be fine. The final section is quite rocky, and if it is misty on the top, take care to note the direction you arrived from at the summit, and make sure you leave the same way - it is easy to stray onto steeper terrain.

An easier walk with excellent views in Glen Coe is the Devil's Staircase https://www.discoveringbritain.org/activities/scotland/trails/devils-staircase.html
At the top of the pass, you can turn left onto a fainter path and reach the summit of Stob Mhic Martuin.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby AspiringHiker » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:32 am

Are you looking to wild camp or stay at hotels?
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby Tringa » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:35 am

Cherry Tree wrote:Hello everyone, I have a 6-year-old daughter and a man. We will visit the Highlands for the first time in early August. Fascinated with the walk reports, I joined the group this evening.

Can a 6-year-old walk Lost valley (Coire Gabhail) and Pap of Glencoe walk with enough food & water? I am happy to support her mentally & physically as I believe these walks would be majestic accomplishments in our lives.

I'd also appreciate if you could give some hints on what level of clothing, hiking equipment and snacking I should pack in August for a 10-day hiking experience in Skye, Glencoe (Pap being the toughest in our case), and Loch Lomond.

Thanks so much and all the best

Can I ask your level of walking experience, Cherry Tree?

I'm a little surprised that you are planning a 10 hiking trip but then ask about what clothing and equipment you should take.

Also you mentioned the Pap of Glencoe as the toughest. As you have probably seen from the other replies the Lost Valley is a much more serious undertaking.

One very good source of information on walks all over Scotland is on the Walks section (not the walk reports, though are very useful too) on this site. It has hundreds of walks in all areas of Scotland from gentle strolls to mountain ascents. All have excellent descriptions and photos so you can get idea of what is involved.

Dave
Tringa

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion