walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Small van for camping

Small van for camping

Postby joreidy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:57 pm

Please feel free to delete from this forum if not appropriate.

I was wondering does anybody have experience or advice on using a small L1 van for camping/sleeping? I'm looking to buy something of this size as I'll need it for general day to day commuting as well as heading off to the Highlands bagging munros most weekends. I'm essentially looking for an L1 sized van that would have enough space to sleep in (such as a citroen berlingo van). I realise that the load length in the L1 vans are very limited (usually between 1.7 and 1.8m, but some models allow passenger seats to drop down which would create extra leg room :lol: any advice would be much appreciated!
joreidy
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:44
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:8

Re: Small van for camping

Postby Coutts94 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:25 pm

joreidy wrote:Please feel free to delete from this forum if not appropriate.

I was wondering does anybody have experience or advice on using a small L1 van for camping/sleeping? I'm looking to buy something of this size as I'll need it for general day to day commuting as well as heading off to the Highlands bagging munros most weekends. I'm essentially looking for an L1 sized van that would have enough space to sleep in (such as a citroen berlingo van). I realise that the load length in the L1 vans are very limited (usually between 1.7 and 1.8m, but some models allow passenger seats to drop down which would create extra leg room :lol: any advice would be much appreciated!

I have a standard berlingo van which I sleep in the back of, im 6ft, and have to sleep diagonally :lol: but its pretty comfy.. not the most practical but it does the job! Like you mentioned, you can fold down the front seat to create extra legroom.

I made a pull out slat bed, so you have extra space when you dont need the bed. If its pouring rain then its handy for getting your waterproofs and boots on before you start walking :D
Coutts94
Mountain Walker

Munros:239   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Postby joreidy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:14 pm

Cheers for the info Coutts94, thats a good shout on the slat bed!
joreidy
Mountain Walker

Postby HelenO » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:45 am

joreidy wrote:Cheers for the info Coutts94, thats a good shout on the slat bed!

We use a Berlingo with an Android boot jump unit. This provides a sitting as well as sleeping option so worth researching
HelenO
Mountain Walker

Munros:271   Corbetts:145
Fionas:5   Donalds:11
Hewitts:78
Wainwrights:33   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:22 pm

VW Caddies seem a popular option too. 8) plenty on the internet/YouTube. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby LoveWalking » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:16 pm

This site might be helpful

https://community.smallmotorhome.co.uk/
LoveWalking
Wanderer

Munros:40   Corbetts:12
Fionas:5   Donalds:8+4
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:11   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:40 am

Vans are currently mental money, like bikes and houses, it's not an ideal time to be buying tbh.

Caddy is a great wee van, but it's a squeeze to sleep in, I'm 6'1" and could just manage it, but it was tight. They're at the top of end of any budget, the most expensive of small Vans. The 3rd party kit market for them is brilliant though, you can get do much kit for them. There's loads of new vans about now that are perfect size, if your budget stretched to a newer model.

I now have a Merc Citan XLWB which is basically a Renault Kangoo Maxi, with a slightly different front end and cruise control as standard (I won't go back to no CC now on a van), but probably a wee bit dearer than the Renault due to the badge.

I average 50mpg between my 9 mile commute and says in the hills, which is excellent for a van. It has a 2nd row of seats that fold flat, so my wife and I can sleep in there no probs, it's all insulated and carpet lined too, such a utilitarian wee thing, we love it, cowp runs, getting changed in after walks, cycling, pizza oven out the back, it's my perfect size van (had a T5 too) and can't recommend it highly enough.

The likes of berlingo/partner are great, but folks have woke up to them and they're now not cheap either.

I long for the day when I have an electric van though, hopefully my next one. 🙏🏻
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby bar72 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:15 pm

as AA states, small vans are crazy money just now. You're looking at around £4200 - £4500 for a decent Caddy on a 2010 plate with around 150,000 on the clock. However, they are bulletproof if you service them and you can expect 300,000 easy out the engine in them. Caddy's also have leaf sprung rear suspension which will be fine for rattling down small glen roads that are full of bumps, without the constant breaking of rear springs. You can also run it a few years and not lose money on resale value as VWs hold their money.
bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:181
Fionas:70   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Postby joreidy » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:29 pm

That's great thanks for the advice everyone!
joreidy
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion