walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Falls of Glomach route question

Falls of Glomach route question

Postby al78 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:43 pm

Having just walked across Knoydart to near Shiel Bridge, that final area around and to the north of glen Sheil has made me think the remote area of glens and mountains between Morvich and loch Monar/Achnashellach station are worth exploring, and I believe the Cape Wrath trail crosses that area. I'd be interested in a route that goes from Morvich to the falls, then on to either Achnashellach or heading further west to Attadale or Achintee, from where there might be a walking route across to Torridon. My question is, how difficult/dangerous is the path that leads from the falls of Glomach down to glen Elchaig, and is it doable with a full backpack?

On a different note, has anyone walked the coastal route from Lower Diabeg to Redpoint and can say if it is worth doing.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Re: Falls of Glomach route question

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:30 pm

I've not done the Falls of Glomach descent but have explored the area and heard descriptions. In good weather (dry, low wind), though it crosses steep ground it should be fine with a pack on, especially if you're a pole user, and I think it is done reasonably regularly.

On a different note, has anyone walked the coastal route from Lower Diabeg to Redpoint and can say if it is worth doing.

I enjoyed the walk to Craig bothy and exploring around there. Its in the middle bit of this report: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=96133 and also here: https://www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk/post/last-house-in-craig
The terrain onwards to Red Point looks similar. The views to Trotternish are wonderful, and looking behind you, you get to see the less well known backside of Alligin.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Essan » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:55 am

I have only walked up to the Falls of Glomach from Glen Elchaig, and that a long time ago (we had to miss this section out when doing the CWT in 2019) - however it's the usual route for those doing the CWT with big packs and whilst you need to watch your footing, it's quite doable. There are good tracks/paths most of the way out to Strathcarron via Maol Bhuidhe and Ben Dronaig Lodge, except a short stretch from Maol Bhuidhe to Loch Calavie. Nice wild country :)

The coastal path to Redpoint (and the pub at Badachro :D ) is well worth doing (quite a bit of road walking from Torridon to Diabaig but it's a quiet road)
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby AJ01 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:44 am

I walked up from Glen Elchaig past the Falls of Glomach about 15 years ago, and I don't remember any difficulties, though I wasn't thinking of what it would be like with a full pack.

The Falls of Glomach are spectacular (admittedly depending on how much rain there has been) and as one of the relatively undiscovered sights of the NW Highlands well worth a visit.

Angus
AJ01

Munros:221   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby ChrisButch » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:16 pm

The coastal route was certainly worth doing when the memorable Craig Youth Hostel (Half way) was still there. Not sure there was anything special about the walk itself - but that may be because the only time I did it I was in thin leather cycling shoes, carrying the frame of our tandem while MrsCB carried the wheels and panniers. Not a rideable inch the whole way.
ChrisButch

Postby skiker » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:22 am

I descended with a full pack from Glomach Falls a couple of years ago. The path is steep, rocky and, in some place, exposed. That day it was a bit wet as well. That said, unless you're easily unnerved by heights, it's a relatively easy descent so long as you pay attention.
skiker
Scrambler

Postby al78 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:37 pm

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like it shouldn't be a problem and it is one of those situations where care is required. I'm pretty good at being careful on rough or exposed terrain.
al78
Walker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:05 pm

It's an enjoyable route from Morvich and forms part of the Cape Wrath Trail. Skip to 16:54 if you want to know what to expect. I was a tad nervous beforehand.

WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby al78 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:41 pm

Thanks, that is a very helpful video showing the nature of the path. It looks like a typical hill path, perfectly doable as long as you watch where you are putting your feet and using poles for extra stability might help. I'm guessing that path goes very close to a steep drop which is where the exposure comes into play. The view back to the falls and the gorge looks spectacular, and after seeing it I feel the desire to add that section of the CWT to my list of linear sections to backpack along. Shiel Bridge or Morvich looks a great place to stay as a base for bagging some summits as well as exploring the very remote area to the north of the Five Sisters (including the final stretch of the glen Affric trail). I'm half tempted to have a go at the glen Affric trail starting from Cannich. I'm guessing there is a fast change in the scenery/atmosphere from loch Affric going from the easily accessible touristy part to the very remote roadless section where the youth hostel is.
al78
Walker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:28 am

al78 wrote:Thanks, that is a very helpful video showing the nature of the path. It looks like a typical hill path, perfectly doable as long as you watch where you are putting your feet and using poles for extra stability might help. I'm guessing that path goes very close to a steep drop which is where the exposure comes into play. The view back to the falls and the gorge looks spectacular, and after seeing it I feel the desire to add that section of the CWT to my list of linear sections to backpack along. Shiel Bridge or Morvich looks a great place to stay as a base for bagging some summits as well as exploring the very remote area to the north of the Five Sisters (including the final stretch of the glen Affric trail). I'm half tempted to have a go at the glen Affric trail starting from Cannich. I'm guessing there is a fast change in the scenery/atmosphere from loch Affric going from the easily accessible touristy part to the very remote roadless section where the youth hostel is.

Yeah a typical hill path with some exposure and mild scrambling too. Nothing difficult just extra concentration. Quite fancy the Affric-Kintail Way too, but doing it from Inverness. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion