walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Viewranger finished?

Viewranger finished?

Postby Duggie12 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:12 am

Hi, I see that Viewranger isn't working anymore for whatever reason. Shame as I liked it for the os maps. I tried the os app but it's terrible. They gave me a refund.

Where do others get their electronic os maps from?
Thanks
Duggie12
Mountaineer

Munros:147   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   

Re: Viewranger finished?

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:29 am

For OS you can get a Garmin unit and a GB Premium card from Ebay for £40. Out of date but offline so you'll never have end-of-service. (On Ebay search for Garmin OS).

If you could consider a switch to OSM, on Android you can get the Oruxmaps app with TalkyToaster maps, they are OSM with NASA elevation details. Oruxmaps also allows a rendering theme, there is a so-called "Voluntary" effort to make OSM much more detailed and uses OS colours and OS-like detailing.

https://www.walkingclub.org.uk/gps-map-apps/How-To-Map-Walk-Routes-On-Android.shtml
https://talkytoaster.me.uk/
https://www.openandromaps.org/en/oam-forums/topic/voluntary-uk/page/8
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:05 pm

Viewranger is only finished with map subscriptions, if you buy credits for map tiles then it will still work, for how long is anyone's guess. I'm going to keep using it until they pull the plug on it.

Topo GPS and Locus are worth looking at too. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Duggie12 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:33 pm

Sorry should have said this is for use with my android phone not a separate GPS

I just want to pay the 20 odd quid a year and have os maps on my phone, like how Viewranger worked

I'll check out the osm thing

Thanks
Duggie12
Mountaineer

Munros:147   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:11 pm

I have both OSM and OS on my Garmin, I do like the OS and it shows features not on OSM such as standing stones and other little detour details, but for walking and hiking it's darned good.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby Jon and Jen » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:43 pm

Try www.mapy.cz . A polish girl I met on bheinn a ghlo showed me it. It's pretty handy. Think there is an ap too.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Alexander_Mac » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:45 pm

I know where you're coming from Duggie12 - the Viewranger app was really easy to use and for £20 it was good value. But since they joined up with Outdooractive it's become a lot less user friendly and inevitably more expensive.

So any tips on a similar easy to use phone-based app with good access to 1:25k OS Maps would be very welcome.
Alexander_Mac
Munro compleatist

Munros:21   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Jon and Jen » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:13 pm

Jon and Jen wrote:Try www.mapy.cz . A polish girl I met on bheinn a ghlo showed me it. It's pretty handy. Think there is an ap too.

Forgot to mention. Change map to outdoor. It has GPS and shows a lot of paths in the hills.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:19 pm

OS maps app, use it all the time, have done for years.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Veryhappybunny » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:45 pm

I like the UK Map app, but think it might be iOS only, not Android. Hill Lists is also handy. I have also used maps.me and bergfex which is good for showingwhere on a hike you took different photos too.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:159
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby Raynor » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:35 pm

If you had a paid subscription with view ranger when it got taken over, you should get a years free pro subscription if you link the account to outdoor active. This includes the OS maps.

So you can still follow routes and track walks on view ranger using their free basic (rubbish) maps, but can also have the OS map for the area downloaded on outdoor active if needed.
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

Postby Moder-dye » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:14 am

I use Maverick GPS navigation app on my android. Have done for years and it's ace. There's a free version which allows limited way points, or the paid for one which is still very cheap and allows more.

Allows use of 1:50 and 1:25k OS explorer that caches to your phone as you scroll through your area of interest. Also other map layers like OSM, cycle route, hike and bike and satellite.

I've used in in the UK, Norway and Greenland and use it pretty much daily for work.
Moder-dye
Hill Bagger

Postby Pastychomper » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:46 pm

I've also been looking for a Viewranger alternative. Lately I've been trying one called TrekMe (on Android), which is fairly basic but does almost everything I used Viewranger for in a smaller app. Maps are better than OSM but not full OS 1:25k. I'll have a look at Maverick too.
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Postby logfish111 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:58 am

I use the Outdoor Active app on my android phone / tablet. I pay an annual subscription for all OS maps across the country. I download the chunk of the map I want everytime I am planning a walk so I can access it offline and then delete again once I'm done. Works really well for me. I also found the OS Maps app to be terrible and support was really unresponsive.
logfish111
Munro compleatist

Munros:57   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:174
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:12 pm

Pastychomper wrote:Maps are better than OSM but not full OS 1:25k.

What maps are they then? The app says they are OSM but that might be an out of date description on the boilerplate.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion