walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Dog boots.

Dog boots.

Postby Outnabout » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:21 pm

We are doing the WHW in a few weeks and we have the some boots and socks for the dog. Im just wondering how much he should walk in them? Does he walk in them the full day or half the day or is it just over the rougher ground.

Cheers
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Dog boots.

Postby Holly » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:35 am

I have walked my dogs over a fair bit of Scotland doing multi day walking and wild camping eg the CWT. The dogs have been over a varied and extended amount of rough terrain which would be much much harder going the the WHW. They have never come to harm and this would be likely due to me getting them used to harder ground and their paws becoming accustomed and toughened. I guess just like us in training ! I would advise you give the boots a miss tbh and see if you can get your dog used to some walking on tougher ground before you go. If they never get used to it their paws will always be susceptible to injury. With a bit of contradiction to what I’m suggesting there are folk who have used boots (ruffwear, seeming to be a good option)for the Cuillin Munros as the gabbro can be tough and abrasive.
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Jon and Jen » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:29 am

WHW has nothing that would trouble a dog at all. Unless your dog has never been off grass/carpet then they won't need boots.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Outnabout » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:39 am

He's been up multiple hills with varying terrain for the last few years and is off working stock. I will take them with me and keep an eye on his feet through the week.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:47 am

I would try mushers secret paw wax. Certainly seems to help my dogs feet on rough terrain.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby KatTai » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:37 pm

Outnabout wrote:He's been up multiple hills with varying terrain for the last few years and is off working stock. I will take them with me and keep an eye on his feet through the week.

If he is used to different terrain he shouldn't have a problem. Dog boots themselves can actually end up causing issues and their use needs building up slowly to ensure they aren't rubbing or changing the dogs gait. They aren't something that can just be put on without some getting used to them first and careful monitoring for issues. I decided one of mine needed boots at the end of the winter, he does canicross but his paws don't cope with snow and ice well for whatever reason (he has pink paws which apparently are more vulnerable to the cold but how true that is I don't know!) but it was at the point in the season where by the time he'd have got used to them the snow and ice would be over and done with so I'll look at training him in boots at the start of next winter if I remember :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Outnabout » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:01 pm

KatTai wrote:
Outnabout wrote:He's been up multiple hills with varying terrain for the last few years and is off working stock. I will take them with me and keep an eye on his feet through the week.

If he is used to different terrain he shouldn't have a problem. Dog boots themselves can actually end up causing issues and their use needs building up slowly to ensure they aren't rubbing or changing the dogs gait. They aren't something that can just be put on without some getting used to them first and careful monitoring for issues. I decided one of mine needed boots at the end of the winter, he does canicross but his paws don't cope with snow and ice well for whatever reason (he has pink paws which apparently are more vulnerable to the cold but how true that is I don't know!) but it was at the point in the season where by the time he'd have got used to them the snow and ice would be over and done with so I'll look at training him in boots at the start of next winter if I remember :lol:

His gait is definitely different with them on, I'm assuming because they are new. He's quite a hardy dog out on the hills so will just keep an eye on him and if needed will use them to aid him.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion