walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Fisherfield pair from Lochan Fada

Fisherfield pair from Lochan Fada

Postby Coop » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:51 pm

I plan on going up from Incheril side soon via Lochan fada , to do Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair and Beinn Tarsuinn. Just wondered if it was straightforward enough up to the beallach or whether others have went over Meal Garbh first to do Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair first.
Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: Fisherfield pair from Lochan Fada

Postby scoob999 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:08 pm

If you have time I highly recommend the munro top Sgurr Dubh :D
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=61259
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Tringa » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:40 am

Myself and my son did these two from Incheril many years ago, but with Beinn Tarsuinn first.

The walk towards Lochan Fada via the Heights of Kinlochewe is on an excellent path. Just after Loch an Sgeireach we turn north east and followed the stream flowing out of Loch Meallan an Fhurdair and camped close to the loch.

We left the tent by the loch and went north west close to Creag Glas Mhor up to Beinn Tarsuinn.

From the top we headed east towards Bealach Odhar. We did not go over Meall Garbh but took the path on the north west side of MG. It looks a bit precarious but is good and straightforward.

Then it is just a stiff climb with a lot of broken rock up the south ridge of Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair.

We were lucky with the weather and had a great couple of days with superb views. Along with lots of deer we saw a frog at about 900m on MCMF which surprised us – no nearby water and a long way to go to avoid freezing in the winter.

Then a return to pick up the tent and an easy walk back out.

Dave
Tringa

Postby AJ01 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:47 am

Tringa wrote:...
Along with lots of deer we saw a frog at about 900m on MCMF which surprised us – no nearby water and a long way to go to avoid freezing in the winter.

Dave

It probably hopped it for the winter. :D

OK, I'll get my coat ...
AJ01

Munros:221   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby Coop » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:18 am

Tringa wrote:Myself and my son did these two from Incheril many years ago, but with Beinn Tarsuinn first.

The walk towards Lochan Fada via the Heights of Kinlochewe is on an excellent path. Just after Loch an Sgeireach we turn north east and followed the stream flowing out of Loch Meallan an Fhurdair and camped close to the loch.

We left the tent by the loch and went north west close to Creag Glas Mhor up to Beinn Tarsuinn.

From the top we headed east towards Bealach Odhar. We did not go over Meall Garbh but took the path on the north west side of MG. It looks a bit precarious but is good and straightforward.

Then it is just a stiff climb with a lot of broken rock up the south ridge of Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair.

We were lucky with the weather and had a great couple of days with superb views. Along with lots of deer we saw a frog at about 900m on MCMF which surprised us – no nearby water and a long way to go to avoid freezing in the winter.

Then a return to pick up the tent and an easy walk back out.

Dave

Superb just what I'm after hearing
Coop
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Coop » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:19 am

scoob999 wrote:If you have time I highly recommend the munro top Sgurr Dubh :D

Tonight's viewing- cheers Scoob
Coop
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Coop » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:14 pm

scoob999 wrote:If you have time I highly recommend the munro top Sgurr Dubh :D

Just watched that, awesome, great video great music and what looked like an awesome if precarious in places ridge fantastic 👏
Coop
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby vuirich » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:04 pm

I did this pair, along with Sgurr Ban, from Lochan Fada. Camped beside the loch at the point where the path from Incheril up Gleann na Muice turns sharply south-east to pass round the eastern end of the loch. A bit spongy, but there are several decent pitches hereabouts, and water supply isn't a problem. From here, cross the stream that flows into the loch from Creag Ghlas Bheag, and follow a path that goes almost all the way to the Bealach Odhar. This passes just to the east of the ravine of the Allt na Creige Glaise. From the bealach I did Tarsuinn first. As Tringa says, to get to MCMF you can use a path that bypasses Meall Garbh on its NW side to reach the bealach below MCMF. This bypass path is fine. After MCMF, the simplest option would be to retrace your outward route to the Bealach Odhair and hence down to Lochan Fada, aiming to pick up the path again beside the Allt na Creige Glaise.

After doing the hills in the morning, I picked up the tent and returned to Incheril in the afternoon.

Hope you enjoy your trip. It's a great area.
vuirich
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:64
Fionas:89   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:183   Hewitts:148
Wainwrights:214   Islands:27

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:11 pm

There is a by-pass path that takes out Meall Garbh on the north west side, the path is easy enough.
At Lochan Fada the path starts for the bealach roughly NH 0503 6994 it might be quite hard to find, we didn't know there was a path till we found it on the way down.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Coop » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:45 pm

Many thanks to you both vuirich and GS, all points taken on board 👍
Coop
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion